Paint not sticking HELP!!

S

Stefan290790

Hi am painting a model and a certain paint just does not want to stick to the plastic, it is like all watery but the other paints stick. What is causing this???

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Have you washed it with a bit of washing up liquid first?

J

john22

have u primed it i usely go over mine with 800 wet or dry....and make sure you paint is stured properly ..i used 2 get the same proble when i first started with the paints u get free with airfix.......john

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
A bit more info and I reckon we should be able to sort this out. Which paint won't stick to the model? Do I understand that other paint(s) has adhered well to the same model? Are you brush painting or airbrushing?

Cheers

Steve

S

Stefan290790

This is number 11 Humbrol Paint (Silver Metallic). It is an Aston Martin DB5 which the paints game in, it was a set. I don't really like humbrol paints (i use Revell and Tamiya).

I will be priming and spraying the chassis which is the main part of any car so im not to worried on the little parts you won't be able to see much, but this paint that isn't sticking is for the front grill, rims and front and rear bumpers.

@John, I just used the pain straight out of the pot.

@john22, I just prime the body of the car and not smaller parts and I shook and stirred the paint properly.

@stona, I am painting everything except the body.

Are these paints crappy cause they came with it? lol

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Humbrol 11 can be an acrylic or enamel but I think "silver metallic" is the acrylic version with which I am not familiar. From what you've said above it may be the paint itself that is causing your problem Acrylic metallics are known to be awkward,there are some decent ones but I simply use enamels. I've used the enamel version of Humbrol 11 with no problem for years.

If it is a tinlet of enamel you are using chuck it and buy another one. Humbrol paints are now made in China (what isn't!) and there were some initial quality problems. It's possible you have a tinlet from one of those early batches.

Cheers

Steve

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Like Steve says. If the paints came with the kit then they are almost certainly acrylics. From what i remember Aifix don't batch models with enamel paints anymore.

S

Stefan290790

Yep they are acrylics. Yep I will use another brand but same colour for the bumpers. What is the equivalent in Tamiya?

B

Bunkerbarge

If you are looking for the best metal finish on a model then you need to look at the Alclad range of metallic paints. They simply cannot be bettered so I'd have a look on the internet and see where you can get them in Australia.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Bunkerbarge is correct but Alclad paints (lacquers really) have to be airbrushed. I'm afraid I don't use Tamiya paints but someone will know the equivalent.

Cheers

Steve