Paint thinner ruined my windscreen

T

tony16

Hi everyone,

I'm new in the forum and it's nice to have joined.

I've been doing solely revell models for the past few years. I'm not very experienced because i do 4-5 a year and so i make the odd stupid mistake here and there. I'd really appreciate to hear as many opinions on this

I'm currently doing the Revell Ferarri F430 Spider. I use thinner to thin my paints and i accidentally spill a large drop on the transparent windscreen of the car. Of course it made a big spot there and burned the plastic surface. There is no hole but it looks ugly. I'm sure there's no way to make it look brand spanking new but what would you say is the best i could do to fix this to a reasonable degree?

thanks a lot

B

Bunkerbarge

Hi Tony and a warm welcome to the forum.

If the damage is into the surface then the first step for me would be a very gentle rub down with a very fine wet and dry paper. The best you can get at B&Q or Halfords is about a 600 grit and you want a 2000. Have a look on line for automobile body shop supplies. They have really fine grit wet and dry.

Gently rub over the top of the mark until you get a nice even surface and all belemishes are gone. Then finish off with a couple of coats of Future/Johnsons Kleer floor polish. This is simply a thin acrylic clear coat that will hide very fine surface imperfections.

If the damage is only a surface blemish you could try going straight to the Kleer coat.

A bit of care and paitence and you will be able to recover this.

T

tony16

thanks a lot, i'll get the stuff tomorrow and see if i can restore it.

Are you sure that the wet and dry paper will maintain the transparency of the plastic? I don't want to get a whitish, scratched surface.

B

Bunkerbarge

You should end up with a clouded finish, which is a result of the microscopic scratches left by the wet and dry. These scratches will be filled by the Kleer coat and the clouding will dissappear.

Have a practise on some scrap first to get a feel for it.