Painting accessories - do it before or after attaching?

D

Dave_W

Hi guys.

Just been looking at some of the builds, my god you are a talented bunch.

My question is a tad basic but here goes -

1/ Tanks wheels and tracks - I see so many models that seem to have these fitted before any painting takes place. Do people really try to paint the wheels and tracks while attached? It seems unbelievably fiddly and unnecessary?

2/ Tank accessories such as jacks, tow ropes, spades etc. Again same really as in point one. Surely it's easier to paint and weather off the tank, paint tank and only attach the tools during the final tank weathering stages?

Any advice on this would really be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

T

tecdes

Cannot help you on Tanks specifically Dave. All my builds are aircraft. Wheels steps aerials etc are painted prior to fixing.

The only thing which I now attach as I found they need filler usually as they do not ever seem to fit snuggly are cockpit covers.

Your own choice & the way you work. I airbrush most things so it is mostly attach at the last moment. Also fragile things fitted early are always in my world knocked off.

Think that all this will apply to all types of model making.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
High and Welcome. A good question.

I build a bit of everything. (military that is).

Tanks I find depend on what it is. Modern all one colour I assemble as much as I can with out causing painting problems, Wheels get painted off the kit. As do the tracks. Most modern things the paint is thrown over everything. Tools et al.

Camouflage as well. Check out the German Army of today. Axes, shovels saws and jacks, if out in the open are painted over with the camouflage colour. There are exceptions. Tools that get replace etcetera.

WWII stuff the trend is wood tools are unpainted (real world) these I would paint off the model and put on just before the end of the build.

Ian M

P

phalinmegob

hello and welcome, i can see some confusion coming this way soon, can we call you underscore instead as there is allready a dave w lol. i attach everything most of the time and then paint,saves mucking about ruining the paint finish with glue but that is my preference , everyone is different mate.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Hi and welcome to the forum Dave.

Can't help with the tank question, I build mostly aircraft too, cos I've asked the same thing.

But if I've learned anything from this forum , it's try everything and what works for you is the best way to go.

Good luck with the tank, you are doing a tank?

Tony.

D

Dave_W

Thanks guys, and thanks for the welcome. I can see the issue with using glue at the end causing problems, as you say, I guess it's what works best. It was just the fact that the mags often show the wheels attached but then of course, that was a still, not a video...

You aware of any videos out there, youtube etc, that are a good example of camo and weathering ww2 stuff?

As for my my nick here, I quite like Underscore!!! Let me change my nick and see what you think ;o)

U

Underscore (AKA Dave)

OK guys, couldn't see how to update my name, so have re-registered. Dave_W is dead, long live Underscore (AKA Dave) ;o)

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Hi Dave,

I agree with Tony........ There are no hard and fast rules with it. Sometimes things are best painted on the model and others are best left off as Laurie says. I know from bitter experience, I work on the premise that if it can get knocked off or broken then I'll be first in line to do it...... Add to that, that some of the photos you've seen may have been a "dryfit". I like to fit things together first and see how they go together. Maybe do some trimming or sanding to get a good tight fit and try to work out what goes where before I get the sticky stuff out.

Apart from that ............. Welcome aboard.

Peter