Painting decals!

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi guys, any advice or second opinions would be helpful.
I had a problem with applying a decal on my starfighter engine intake,it was a double curve and couldn't get it down without wrinkles so decided the best option was to try and paint it! This will mean painting the wing decals as well for the colour match.
This is what I need to paint!
20211031_220753-1.jpg
Best way I can see is to paint the orange first then place a small round mask in the centre followed by the white ,red then blue. Ideally I would do the orange last but can't see a way of masking as my compass cutter won't go that small but I do have a dot of mask about the right size left from a mask set,does my method sound feasible.thanks for any thoughts.

Last edited:

slupanter

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alexander
I would pre-plan my masking into stages. Do it all white and cover each section once it was painted.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
That's would be the plan it's the orange dot that's really the issue as I can't make a hole that small in the masking tape,the decal is 14mm diameter but the dot is 3.5mm.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Try using a punch and die set to punch the circle from tape.

Cheers,
Richard

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I have a template, I can make you a few masks and post them to you
Hi, yes I've circle cutter, I've made the outer template,just thought there may be a better alternative to painting white over orange because of possible coverage issues, think I'll just have to invest in a punch set as Richard has suggested but thank you very much for your offer mate I appreciate it :thumb2: cheers.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I use several tools for making discs. In this case I would use a stud/eyelet maker and cut the disc from Tamiya tape. You can get various sized ones for under a tenner

HTB1Qq_hngLD8KJjSszeq6yGRpXa4.jpg

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I use several tools for making discs. In this case I would use a stud/eyelet maker and cut the disc from Tamiya tape. You can get various sized ones for under a tenner

View attachment 437629
Cheers Steve, I have just been on fleabay and ordered a 10 piece hollow punch set 1-10 mm for 5.99 made for leatherwork so hopefully itll work on masking tape ok.