Papa695s let’s build a bi-plane.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm gonna join in with this one,a double first for me....
... first Biplane.....
... and first WW1 Aircraft..
..... oh dear,I could be in trouble now!!...
View attachment 492293
Kinda looking forward to it in a weird sort of way!!:hugging-face:
Very concerned at you turning into a wingy Andy .
If you've a high temperature Matron can call, just say .:surprised:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Seams as some have now started threads for next year’s GB’s I suggest a Bi-plane GB starting 1st January 2024 until end of April 24. Any Bi-plane any scale.
Any takers?
Remind me when we get a bit closer to the date and I will make the section for this one.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
My first entry should qualify as it has two wings View attachment 492900
WOW - originally released for " Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines" 1965/66 - there were 6 in the series from Inpact, of wihch only two would qualify for the build, this, & an Avro biplane, the others being monoplanes & a triplane.
I remember being taken to see the film when it first came out, at the old Odeon, in Sheffield, for my birthday!! There was a full sized replica of the Bleriot Monoplane on the cinema foyer roof - sticks in my mond!
Dave

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Ooh, one of the old 'Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines' kits
With no mention of the film on the box, but that's definitely Stuart Whitman at the controls

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
SIX 'Magnificent Men' 'planes? I thought there were only four, but I may have confused the number with the Inpact British fighter biplanes

Avro Biplane, Avro Triplane (Terry-Thomas' 'plane)´ Boxkite, Bleriot, Depurdussin and Martin-Hanayside. Never one of the little Demoiselle tho'

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Yeah, saw that lot on eBay when I was trying to find what they all were. Still a really interesting set. I mean, apart from the Wright flyer, are there ANY other kits of pre-WW1 'planes?
When searching for these I came across a whole series of aircraft cslled 'Magnificent Men' but they may be just instructions for scratchbuilding, or possibly paper kits. The Phillips multiplane is tempting as it's so nuts. It's the one in that old piece of film that collapses at the wing roots

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
ANY other kits of pre-WW1 'planes?
There are a few, but they are either of vacform construction, or limited run resin kits. Like the Santos Dumont, Burgesse Dunne, Deperdussin - one that was/is injection is the Sopwith Tabloid ( just prewar ). I did make the Burgess Dunne tailless biplane vacform in the 80's. A model that I was very proud of.until after a few weeks, the thin wings started to sag giving gross anhedral! The thin vaform plastic just wasn't strong enough.
Dunne_D8_flying.jpg
Burgess Dunne D8
At that time I was well into vacform models, Like the Vickers Virginia, Vildebeest, Fox Moth, Comper Swift, Westland Pterodactyl and loads of other obscurities. White metal parts by Aeroclub! Resin kits had just started to appear, but were very expensive - the mainstreamers were still churning out Spitfires & Stukas, so, it was either vacforms or scratching. I still have a few vacforms in a box, most of which now have been released as injection moulded kits!
Dave