PE and burnishing

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I have recently burnished the railings on Graf Spee and are doing prep work for KGV. I have two large PE sets ( my god looks scary to me ) now I will clean with IPA but should I burnish the sets as well??

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Bob, turn the sheet over and use some 600 wet and dry to just wipe over the surface GENTLY, this will give you enough rough for the c/a to grip. Hope this helps. Mike.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Mike, can see the point of burnishing ship railings but not the usual PE sets?

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I know that glass fibre pens can be unpleasant things - little bristles can break off but I go over both sides of the fret. I do take precautions, gloves, mask and a hoover of the bench - usually :rolling:
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I know that glass fibre pens can be unpleasant things - little bristles can break off but I go over both sides of the fret. I do take precautions, gloves, mask and a hoover of the bench - usually :rolling:
Jim
Use it wet. Keep a small dish of diluted washing up liquid and dip the glass fibre pen in it every time you use it. It stops the fibres flying around.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Use it wet. Keep a small dish of diluted washing up liquid and dip the glass fibre pen in it every time you use it. It stops the fibres flying around.
Many thanks Tim

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
What a good idea. Another example of a simple idea that works. Thanks Tim.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’d still wear gloves and a mask though Jim. I hav used one much recently, but when I did I’d cover my bench with a couple of sheets of newspaper. Clean up was then just a matter of scrunching up the paper and sticking it in the bin.

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I have recently burnished the railings on Graf Spee and are doing prep work for KGV. I have two large PE sets ( my god looks scary to me ) now I will clean with IPA but should I burnish the sets as well??
Sorry but what is IPA ? I'm not familiar with that term thanks

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Isopropyl alcohol Ron. Sometimes known as rubbing alcohol.
Pete