Period Petrol Pumps

• Thread starter My Model Car Workshop
  • Start date
M

My Model Car Workshop

I was thinking of making a country garage in 1/24 scale, as a background diorama for photographing my period car models, which will need at least two of three petrol pumps, similar to the ones around the 1950s period. Shell, BP, Esso, National Benzoil, Power, Fina, just to name a few. I have searched Ebay, but can only find American style gas pumps which are 1/18 scale (too big) or some British style 1960s pumps at 1/43 scale (too small).

Like Goldilocks, I need some that are just right.

Does anyone know where I can get some 1/24 scale petrol pumps, or will I have to scratch build them myself. Scourcing the motifs for the top of the pumps ( BP for example) might be found in old car books or motoring memorabilia books, if I can find some of these.

Geoff

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Not sure if this similar to the 1/18 scale Geoff, will have to work out the cm's into scale. http://www.dealers-uk.com/scale-model-shell-petrol-pump

Edit: forget it, it is far too big lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

My Model Car Workshop

That's the sort of pump I am looking for Si, but like you say, that one is way too large. Making my own pump body is no problem, it's the fancy globe tops, that would be hard to copy, unless they were sculptured using Milliput two part modeling clay. Must get the thinking cap on. o_O

M

My Model Car Workshop

Just thought a way of making a shell top for a pump, glue to halves of a small cockle shell together, about 15mm diameter. You can get bags of small shells from most seaside shops that sell tat. Who's a clever boy then! :rolleyes: