Phil's 1/48 Dragon Me262 A-1a/u4

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
This is Dragons 1/48 Dragon Me262 A-1a/U4. There was only two of these prototypes built and was designed as a destroyer/bomber, the stand out feature was its mk214 50mm anti tank cannon which I believe didn't work out too well due to its constant jamming in flight.

The kit itself was a bit of a pain to put together and there was some real fit issues and a lot of customization had to be done (especially to make the engines look similar as the open one was a quickboostand the kit engine and a more protruding exhaust), the build itself was put on hold when I ruined the canopy and had to wait for a replacement.

This is my second build (third completed) and was chose by yourselves on a vote poll, I have learnt a lot on this one but there are some things I could have done better/different and there's still loads to perfect.

Vallejo model air, tamiya and hataka (brown violet only) was used, instrumental panel was scratch built with aeroscale PE and decals, quick boost engine, master cannon (which is a must I think).

All comments and criticism welcome as usual.

Cheers.

me262.jpg

me262-2.jpg

me262-3.jpg

me262-4.jpg

me262-5.jpg

me262-6.jpg

me262-7.jpg

me262-8.jpg

me262-9.jpg

me262-10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
That is an absolutely superb build. Everything about it really is first class.

N

noble

Beautiful build phil, and a cracker of a paint job. Love that engine.

scott

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
surperb job on this one,I do real like the detail and paint work,very well done, ;)

D

dubster72

I can sympathize with your trials & tribulations in building this kit Phil. Dragon's instructions are notoriously bad & hard to follow! Weirdly enough, their armour kits fit like a glove, at least the ones I've built have.

But you've absolutely nailed this one. The clean smooth lines of the 262 are reflected in that excellent paintwork & the detail really brings it to life.

For an experienced builder that would be a brilliant result, so for only your second full build sit back & enjoy the well-deserved plaudits :smiling3:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A great build for sure. It does seem strange that one aircraft caries one weapon - if it stops then what, go home. Mind you, with a gun that big, where could you put another ?

D

dougie

This is a great looking build, the detail is top notch and the finish is brilliant

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Thanks for all the positive comments guys, much appreciated

C

Corwin

Good job on this one :smiling3:

They found a crashed wreck of a "normal" 262 last year in a hole on an (old military) airfield near Arnhem

That came as a complete surprise:eek:

Corwin

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Very impressed. After the long strech you finally got it done! I like the open breech and engine

The only criticism is the demarcation between the lower colours and the upper colours on the fuselage. It looks a little too "tight" late war luftwaffe schemes were a lot more soft and haphazard- variety was very present in late war luftwaffe camo

Also, the splinter camo tended to be more wavy and less sharp

Overall though, an excellent job

Good to see you got the undercarriage on the right angle and symmetrical. That point, on 262s and Fw 190D-9s, are determining factors in model competitions.

John

Last edited:
First Name
Robert
This Phil is totally awesome, you have really cracked it in detail and the exposures of the engine and weapons bay are really well sculptured. Love the paint work and so much to look at and observe the little details

Well done and deserved of a great build( plus)

Cheers

Robert

D

Doug Hughes

That's beautiful, Phil. I love the modulation in the paintwork, and the cockpit looks the business too.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
Very impressed. After the long strech you finally got it done! I like the open breech and engine
The only criticism is the demarcation between the lower colours and the upper colours on the fuselage. It looks a little too "tight" late war luftwaffe schemes were a lot more soft and haphazard- variety was very present in late war luftwaffe camo

Also, the splinter camo tended to be more wavy and less sharp

Overall though, an excellent job

Good to see you got the undercarriage on the right angle and symmetrical. That point, on 262s and Fw 190D-9s, are determining factors in model competitions.

John
Hi John,

Thanks for the info mate and its duly noted. As you know there's a massive lack of photos of the V083 so the splinter on the top was copied from the dragon instructions as I would of only guessed anyway. So ill guess I'll practice with the new airbrush and get my freehand camo up to scratch for my D9s then.

Cheers mate

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Thanks guys for all your nice comments and criticism, I lost my father a few weeks into the start of this build so it's been a bit of a strange one to be honest almost didn't want it to end in a way.

Can't wait to start another after Christmas now.

Cheers

Phil

T

treyzx10r

Phil great looking 262, love the paint work! Very nicely done Sir! Sincere condolence for your loss. Merry Christmas