Photo interpretation time!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I was flicking through a well known reference to find a copy of Messerschmitt's official July 1944 camouflage scheme for the Me262 as I don't blindly trust the kit instructions with which I've already had a few disagreements and found another image of my victim.

Interestingly it shows a virtually solid dark band. This IS the same photograph and no matter how I play with the version I posted earlier it I can't make it look like that. It has definitely been "doctored". Worryingly it is in a book of high repute "Luftwaffe Colours 1935-1945" by Michael Ullmann (p.114)

It just goes to show that you can never have enough references!

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mobear

hey there

from what ive read about the luftwaffe they hated any planes looking the same as each other as they would change the design in some sort of minor way maybe this will help or just confuse you even more lol

T

tecdes

It just goes to show that you can never have enough references!

Cheers

Steve

Not only the black band Steve I reckon the swastika has also been doctored it looks two dimensional instead of three.

Looking further I think there is a lot more which has been retouched.

Laurie

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
One thing I am sure of is that the original version I posted (from the O'Connell book) is a much more reliable guide to how this aeroplane looked.

I think the swastika has been doctored to make the white border,which was supposedly discontinued by now,stand out to illustrate a point in the text.

I'll have to make my mind up as I'm nearing the end of the construction phase and getting close to actually applying some paint!

Cheers

Steve

A

andygh

In this instance I feel you must go with your experience and instinct, that way at least you will be safe in the knowledge that it's probably wrong :smile1:

PS. That's what I normally do anyway :shoot:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
In this instance I feel you must go with your experience and instinct, that way at least you will be safe in the knowledge that it's probably wrong :smile1:PS. That's what I normally do anyway :shoot:
That's right!

I've decided the Ullmann photo has been doctored to give the impression of the complete red/black checked band that SHOULD be there as opposed to looking closely at the original image which clearly shows that it isn't. A case of someone seeing what he wants to see? I wonder.

Cheers

Steve

T

tecdes

O dear my problems seem so minor worrying about the colour of the Wellington bomb bay roof & the floor above it.

Amazing the lengths we go to especially as no body will see the colours I decide on once it is finished.

Laurie

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Amazing the lengths we go to especially as no body will see the colours I decide on once it is finished.

Laurie
Also very true. My fuselage band will at least be a prominent feature. The fact that it was (as far as I'm concerned :smiling3: ) never completed just helps to tell the story,not just of this Me262 but the Luftwaffe as a whole at the end of the war.

I'm having a bit of fun with the fit of the canopy. That's definitely not due to something I've done wrong earlier!

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It's a bit shiney under a first coat of Klear but I did finally decide to do an incomplete band as you can see.

Thanks for everyone's input,many heads are always better than one!

I might get this one finished at the week end and will post some 'completed' piccies :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve