PINK SPITFIRE

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Llanbedr airfield?I don't know which Spitfire that would have been. They were all brought in from the xold in the 1970s, sometimes replaced with replicas, because the newly formed BBMF needed spares and because someone figured out that they were becoming valuable :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve
That's the place Steve...It was a fair time ago and the aircraft was some distance away from the main road, but it deffo. was a very pale pink Spitfire....can't add much more, but the airfield is spot -on!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Another difference between the regular Mk1 and the Mk1G is the canopy. The main hood has bulges either side. Falcon Canopies do a vacformed replacement for a Mk1G conversion in 1/72

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Some great info regarding this type of aircraft, thanks to Steve.

So, anybody having a crack at one?

Si:smiling3:

S

Stevekir

\ said:
ive got a tin but it will cost him :D
That's a clever bit of photography. I'm trying to think how to do it (the tartan bit). Any ideas? (And it looks like my family tartan: Mackay.)

One way could be to print the design on to transparent plastic, place it in position on some water and over the bristles, and clone some clean bristles over the fuzzy edge.

First Name
Mike
\ said:
Some great info regarding this type of aircraft, thanks to Steve.So, anybody having a crack at one?

Si:smiling3:
I plan to, I have a Mk. I kit so I guess I just need that vac canopy.

Here's another question for the Spit buffs. Steve's colour profile shows sooty trails from the cannon ports, right across the underside span. I often see models with heavy trails, both above and below the wings. Are these authentic?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I will be careful and say sort of. The guns did give off 'soot' when used but on landing and prep, they would of been cleaned down as good as possible. A dirty aircraft is a slow aircraft...and all that.

I think that most modellers do it to show its a fighter and has just done a sortie. Some do it very well some a bit heavy. ( :oops: ) So yes its often there but often shown just a bit heavy.

Well thats my take on the matter.

And Yes I could find myself doing one.

Ian M

E

Edgar Brooks

\ said:
I plan to, I have a Mk. I kit so I guess I just need that vac canopy.Here's another question for the Spit buffs. Steve's colour profile shows sooty trails from the cannon ports, right across the underside span. I often see models with heavy trails, both above and below the wings. Are these authentic?
Most definitely not; a combination of grease and gun residue often came out of the ejection slots underneath, creating streaks, but the ammunition did not use black powder, so over-wing emissions were minimal.

During times of high use, as in 1940, it could happen, but the standard interval, between services (when, among other items, residue was cleaned off and paint repaired) was 25 hours, or around 12 flights, which would have included some without any contact with the enemy, so you need to ask yourself how many rounds would be fired, and how the armourer could get the self-adhesive fabric patches to stick to a mucky surface.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
You see a lot of nice clean ones:

But sometimes evidence of the sort of deposits Edgar describes.

A forced landing behind enemy lines, definitely not cleaned !

These are all fighters. A 'pink' PR Spitfire would only use its armament as a last resort, they were not there to fight, they were there to take photographs and bring them back. You have to ask how likely is it that my PR Spitfire has been engaged in combat?

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Mike
Thanks for those replies to my question. When I do my pink Spit I'll keep it clean...