Pledge Klear then Acrylic varnish

S

Stevekir

Is it possible to spray a model with Pledge Klear, (then apply decals), then spray with Vallejo or Tamiya semi-gloss varnish?

(I know the arguments for and against Klear.)

Thanks.

A

andygh

In a word, yes

By the way, the new Humbrol "Clear" is the closest thing to Klear I've yet seen. The same stuff I reckon

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
......is the correct answer. That's one for Andy :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

S

Stevekir

Meanwhile, I seem to be having some success with brushing on neat Tamiya clear, quite liberally, about three coats, suitable (I hope) for decalling. Some slight brush marks, but the final semi-mat or matt varnish might get rid of that.

R

Roobarb

For what it's worth and at least it worked for me,I use to apply first a coat of Klear then apply the decals then put on another coat of Klear to seal the decals,then I applied a final finishing coat of whatever varnish ie gloss matt or satin. I now actually use Alclad Aqua Gloss instead of Klear and for a finishing coat the Xtracolor varnish of choice.In the past I've used both Klear and Xtracolor gloss varnish for the gloss coats without problems.

One final point if you spray Klear due to it's nature it's quite easy to lay down too heavy a coat which can cause runs and pooling.

Malcolm

Last edited: