Portholes, to drill or not to drill!!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
After drilling out the portholes on KGV, trust Tim to ask what's next?? Been looking around and found

Use Krystal Klear, I assume you do not drill out the portholes but use after painting and before varnish

Use a graphite pencil to fill in the un drilled holes

Drill and use either paper or foil behind the empty holes

Not sure what to do with KGV, as Chris says with the decks on it will dark anyway

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I drill them, paint everything, Varnish if needed, then use Krystal Klear to form the glass.
Remember to drill at a right angle to the hull.
Even if it is dark inside the look is better and Bridge strucktures and the such where there is light pass-through do look a lot better.
I did my Hood and it looked pretty good. Well I do it on all my ships thinking about it.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Afternoon Ian, ah forget about the bridge and superstructure holes! More drilling it is lol

Do you just drop a small blob of klear in the open hole Ian?

Great advice, John has none in Stock so evilbay it is!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
For very small windows I use a pin or thin brass wire. Larger ones a toothpick. Get a blob on the end and place in the opening. If the blob is to small guide it around the opening until it grabs all the way round. Larger holes take a few tries, but small portholes normally fill right away. You might want to experiment a bit with thinning it with water.
Sometimes it can seem a bit thick but dries down thinner. I find if the Kristal is to thick, you get a thicker glass at the edge than in the middle.
So say it helps to thin the plastic on the inside as well but I have never found the need.
PS portholes are easy, just drill a hole. Square windows are a pain. If there are many in a row I cut the whole lot out as a slot and then rebuild the wall to make the openings. Sounds a lot but easier than cutting tiny squares out!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I am in your debt sir, very much appreciated Ian. Just ordered a bottle. Kgv will be the first attempt!