Post Apocalypse "Road Train" kitbash.

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Yes Bob, it'll be a big old beast.

I might have to start cannibalising some old kits to get enough wheels together :smiling5: Might as well recycle them, rather than just sitting on a shelf gathering dust!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
It's gotta be worth asking "Is it worth keeping that cheapo Tiger/T34/Sherman I paid £5 for years ago and never building it, or using the bits to complete this?" From where I'm sitting, the answer has to be a firm NO! Take what bits you need and put the rest in your spares box ready for the next crazy idea you have!

Reactions: JR
First Name
Drew
Always interested in the weird and wonderful...I’m pulling up a chair for this one!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
well this got my attention,very nice start to it,looking the monster truck, ;)

D

Deleted member 7181

Agreed Dave. Plus I've already had my pleasure out of building the kits I have in mind so even more reason to put them to good use once more.

Welcome Drew & Monica

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm in Andy.
Fernando's remark about it being Mad Max like is perfect.

D

Deleted member 7181

Hi John, great to have you with us.

I did toy with the idea of Mad Max as the title so you & Fernando are spot on.

Nothing much to show at the moment I'm afraid folks. Lots of tape & blu tack flying around as I test fit various bits & bobs to see what looks best. Juggling various wheel & axle combinations, deciding which of my built kits to butcher, that kind of thing.

Wheel sizing seems to be the sticking point at the minute. I want them to be chunky but not comically oversized, so need to pick carefully.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
This will be interesting Andy and with the neat scratching of the VW under your belt I'm sure this is going to be fun with precision and calculated proper additions.

I see you have installed working seats and surround speakers for the Mad Max experience we're gonna get...I'm going to hold onto the armchair handles. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks for the kind words Richard. I can't yet hold a candle to some of the scratch builders on here but I'm enjoying practicing and learning.

I'm currently in the middle of a long weekend shift at work so won't get much done until Tuesday, but I suppose it's better to have some thinking time before diving in

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This should be good . I'm all in. Have MAN ten tonner set aside to do the DOOF (sonic carmegadon?) Wagon from Fury Road some day. PaulE

• Wow
D

Deleted member 7181

I had to Google that Paul, what a beast!

One, or maybe two, of those MAN trucks are sacrificing themselves for this build. The axles will be perfect but I'm still not certain about the size of their wheels. I may have to wreck a MAZ for those as they are ever so slightly larger.

B9fnixK.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Check on-line before wrecking MAZ as those monster Russian mudders may be available as model upgrades. PaulE

D

Deleted member 7181

Not too much progress as I've been working, plus the heat over the past two days has been crazy! It's currently 35°C in the shed, with the roof measuring 57°C in places. Imagine having an 80 square foot radiator a few inches above your head :smiling6:

Interior got painted and buttoned up. It was nothing special, like the rest of this update, so no pictures.

I added a few doors where the original body had been chopped. A small scribed-in bulkhead in the middle, and a roller shutter type right at the back with a small loading platform. The carpet monster donated the wheeled handle

GoEDtcm.jpg

GniFvy0.jpg

I've started assembling the crane, which is from a MAN truck kit. At the angle I wanted to pose it the hook would hang strangely

08wZW6y.jpg

So it was cut & repositioned. I also had to extend two of the hydraulic rams. I almost got them straight too :rolling:

EIzu9X8.jpg

And a rough idea of where it'll sit. There's still work to do on the framework for it, but I've had as much heat as I can for the day lol.

CIFPm9s.jpg

As I say, nothing special compared to some of the work on display here, but with so many eyes watching I had to come up with something :smiling5: