Preparing balsa sheet surfaces.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The modern iron on film coverings are excellent materials in themselves if tackled properly but to my mind you just cannot beat the properly prepared balsa surface which is properly sealed with non of that irritating film peel back, especially in the areas where fuel can get into.

All that you need to prepare sheeted areas are a supply of tissue,preferably wet strengthened which means that when wet it does not fall apart ! a pot of PVA adhesive,a large mop brush and some kind of water spray,for the latter I use one of the artists pump sprays obtainable for a few bob from art suppliers,if you dont have a spray then a kitchen knife and an ordinary hair brush will do the job,wet the brush and pull the knife through the bristles,result a fine water spray,clever eh !

The first job is to make a thin mix of PVA glue,for this the consistency should be like milk,paint this onto the wood surface,allow to dry overnight and rub down to get rid of the raised hairs with 400 grit wet and dry paper,next lay the tissue dry onto the woods surface and spray through with water gently stretching the tissue chordwise and spanwise to remove the wrinkles,now charge your mop hair brush again with the thinned PVA and literally paint through the tissue,it will look a right mess at this stage but dont worry everything will slowly tighten up at room temperature after a few hours.

When dry tidy up the edges with a razor blade and give another gentle sand,now add a further coat and allow to dry.

The result will be a super surface from which you can add your favourite paint thinly applied,when completed it looks almost like metal rather than the wood underneath,above all the grain is knitted together and very strong,and above all will not peel off.

Perhaps a bit more work involved but I consider it well worthwhile especially as the end result is good.