Primer first or just spray paint?

T

Tristan

Hi There Guys,

I am (due to start) making an Airbus A380 Revell Kit, 1:144 scale! Looks a lovely kit to start! The bit I am most confused/new/worried/have little knowledge of are paints and primers!

I plan to spray paint the fuselage and wings with a base coat but should I first prime these??

I have this link for converting paint numbers/colours but I am still finding it tricky... Ultimate Model Paint Conversion Chart - Paint4models.com

In my Revell manual for the A380 it says I need:

• White, Gloss, Number 4
  • Silver, Metallic, Number 90
  • Steel, Metallic, Number 91
  • Aluminium, Metallic, Number 99
  • Rust, Matt, Number 83
  • Light Grey, Silky-Matt, Number 371
  • Sky Blue, Matt, Number 59
  • Stone Grey, Matt, Number 75
  • Grey, Silky-Matt, Number 374
  • Mouse Grey, Matt, Number 47
  • Anthracite Grey, Matt, Number 9
  • Fiery Red, Silky-Matt, Number 330
  • Light Grey, Matt, Number 76
  • Leaf Green, Silky Matt, Number 364
  • Grey, Matt, Number 57
  • Light Grey, Silky Matt, Number 371
As I said, it's my aim to spray paint the fuselage and wings just for a smoother finish!

Also could someone guide me on thinners please? Where I work, we use them but I don't actually know what they are or what they do? Is it the same as White Spirit which gets rid of whats on your brush??

Many Thanks guys!

T

treyzx10r

Tristan are you using rattle cans or an airbrush? Thinners are nothing more than a way to get your paint the right viscosity to apply. Some are compatible with different brands others are'nt. I've used automotive enamel reducers with model master paints with great results.However at first its best to stick within brands if possible and always test on scraps before applying to your actual build. Also be sure to read all the warning labels and use the right protective equipment when using ,some can be quite nasty. As far as priming thats up to debate and also the state of the surface you're working on. Some builds I've done required no primer and others I would'nt have done without priming. To me the less material I have to put on a surface the less of a chance for something to go wrong. Most imperfections can be sanded so smooth they really do'nt need a primer to fill in the defects. Sometimes I just 'spot' prime in the worst areas and leave the rest alone,like the Bronco I'm working on at the moment. Hope that helps,cheers Trey

T

tecdes

Tristan

Primer make up your own mind by trying this.

Prime an odd piece of plastic.

Then spray paint that piece & another piece un primed.

Wait for 24 hours then with your finger nail gently scrape both.

Laurie

C

CDW

It's a bit of a personal preference really ...... but this is my method, it's not gospel, but it works for me.

I tend not to prime and i only use acrylics ...but.... i make sure the surface has a decent "key" for the paint to adhere to (i go along the premise that i'm not playing with them so they wont have any heavy handling)

I achieve the "key" by different methods (shaking parts in bird grit/sand and/or a fine rub with a fibreglass pen etc)

I will add that my decision not to prime comes from years of painting white metal/lead figures where even a thin layer of primer often covered up all the fine details ... this lead to just painting in a decent acrylic paint to achieve the best results.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
i prime all the time and use Vallejo primers. This is for two reasons, 1/ to show up the flaws so they can be corrected and 2/ to provide a good base for painting.

The Vallejo primer, left to cure gives a good hard surface. It is also very good at self-levelling and does not obscure the detail as long as you do not flood the model.

First Name
Chris
Hi Tristan, I'm a fan of the good old Halfords grey and white primers. They're great value compared to model brands and with a light sanding with a very fine grade sanding sponge produces a nice smooth finish for painting.

Regards

Chris

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Hi Tristan, I'm a fan of the good old Halfords grey and white primers. They're great value compared to model brands and with a light sanding with a very fine grade sanding sponge produces a nice smooth finish for painting.Regards

Chris
Me to............

F

Fenlander

I always prime. A good primer will be fine grained and thin which will allow you to see any join defects or surface marks/dust spots etc. prior to spraying the thicker finish colour. Personally, I now use Vallejo but any good plastic primer will be fine.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
My personal choice for a model like this (actually ive got the Emirates boxing of the a380 in the stash) would be to prime with halfords acrylic white primer . then when fully cured, top coats of Halfords appliance white for the fuselage and a very pale grey for the wings (maybe you could mask and brush this on if you dont fancy paying for a third aerosol!!) cheers tony

P

phalinmegob

i prime every thing now, tried to do a kit without priming once and the masking tape(tamiya) pulled bits of the paint off which did my head in,never again.think i saw a post from roman the other day and he had the same problem. i use wilkos grey primer and also recently started using poundland stuff which works great and dries quickly but it stinks.