Project 1/8 Thunder Tiger EB4 S2 Rally Game

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
My 1/8th Thunder Tiger EB4 S2 Rally Game Build

I few years ago I bought a thunder tiger 1/8 body shell to use on my Thunder Tiger EB4 S1 Rally Game but found out my rally game wasn't wide enough so it got put to one side and forgot about till about a few weeks ago,so I decided to see if I could get a cheap second-hand Thunder Tiger EB4 S2 Rally Game off Ebay but I had no lucky in get one as all that popped up all the time was a S1 which is what I have already.

This is the Body Shell I bought a few years ago.

So I decided to look for a cheap EB4 S2 Buggy on Ebay and won this one for £70 without a body or controller as he said he misplaced them when moving house but didn't matter,it also had one or two small things missing but that didn't matter as they are cheap enough to get off ebay.

Here's a few Pics on the Buggy as I got it.

Then I bought all the parts I needed to convert the Buggy to a Rally game plus a new chassis and a Egral Centre Diff mount and I'm goning fit the Ergal front and rear shock mounts off my other rally game and then buy them again to fit back on my other rally game,plus I'll fit the spare Self cooling brake discs I have and it will also have some more upgrades as and when I can buy them.

And I'll post as I strip and clean it and as I rebuild it.

So stay Tuned.

Last edited by a moderator:

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Today I started with the break down of the buggy and as I was removing the fuel tank and the engine there was a lot of dirt,as the guy I bought it off never bothered to clean it after running it and just stored it in a cupboard till I bought it off him as can be seen by these two photos.

Then I was going to leave it till Sunday but thought I might as well continue with the break down so I have broke it down to a bare chassis,and I will strip the front and rear ends on Sunday as I'm out tomorrow.

Here's a photo of everything taken off the chassis and I had to clean all the dirt off the chassis as I couldn't just leave it covered in dirt.

And once I have done that I will clean everything then I can start the re-build in to a EB4 S2 Rally Game.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Well today I started the cleaning and rebuilding of my rally game first up I stripped the bits of the centre diff and fitted the Egral centre diff mount,then I fitted it to the new chassis Plus I added the self cooling brakes but need to use threadlock on the threaded screws when I get some next weekend.

Then I started the cleaning of the front end and I was going to completely strip it down but I just decided to remove the front knuckles and shocks,then use the tooth brush I use to clean my cars with to clean all the dirt off.

Then I fitted the front end to the new chassis.

Then I cleaned the rear end and fitted it to the new chassis.

And then I refitted the front knuckles and also fitted the wheels,I also refitted the shocks once they were cleaned.

Then it was time to refit the engine to the chassis once I cleaned some of the dirt off it.

The radio gear was then refitted after it was cleaned up,also the front bumper was fitted.

The underside of the car all nice and Shiny and new.

And seeing as I can't fit my Citroen Xsara Body till I get a reamer I fitted my Subaru Imperza as that already had holes in it.

I'm hoping I can get some more upgraded parts for next weekend,also I decided not to fit the Egral front and rear shock towers off my S1 rally game as I couldn't be bothered to remove them so I will just buy new ones for this rally game.

I also need to buy a new fuel tank as the one on it was knackered.

M

markt1891

Hi Dynamite25,

I am really interested in your Rally Game project, I bought a used EB4 Rally Game around 5 years ago on ebay and had forgotten about it until recently. When I bought it I did not know that much about the various EB4 models and initially I thought it was an S2. It was 4wd and came with the Xsara bodyshell. However I have since discovered that I have an S1 with the optional 4wd conversion. It may have even been converted from a buggy.

I was interested to read your comment about the S2 bodyshell being too wide, I have noticed that the wheels rub inside the wheel arches. I assumed the S1 and S2 were the same width but perhaps not. Do you have any further information on this and what modifications need to be made to the bodyshell?

My EB4 is in quite nice condition considering it's age, it's hardly been used in the last 5 years (I can post some pics if you want). I have replaced the servo's with Hitec high torque units and added a failsafe but that is about it. Are there any other upgrades you can recommend?

Thanks,

Mark.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Hi mark this is my Thunder Tiger EB4 S1 Rally Game which is what yours should look like if it's an S1 Rally game.

Which you can tell it is completely different from my S2 Rally Game and also the S1 had a flat chassis and the S2 had a kick up in the chassis.

Yes that would be great if you can post pics of yours then I will be able to tell you which upgraded parts you can use.

Really the Citroen Xsara was designed for the S2 Rally Game as it was wider by 15mm than the S1 Rally Game and on the S1 the wheels were too far in under the arches and didn't look right so I never used it on my S1 Rally Game,So I decided to get a cheap S2 buggy and convert it to the S2 Rally Game but I need to remove the centre diff and replace with the solid centre axle from the S1 Rally Game and it also was in the EB4 S2 Buggy version 1 and I got a Version 2 EB4 S2 Buggy which I didn't know till a few days ago.

To stop the body shell rubbing on the tires is to raise the body 5mm and alter the camber slightly so the wheels point inwards to the centre of the car that should stop the tires rubbing the body shell.

M

markt1891

Thanks for all the info, yes mine does look like your S1 Rally Game. Your S1 is in very good condition. Here are some pics of mine...

I think I might try and find a new bodyshell, might be a bit of a challenge though. I did find quite a nice range on an Italian website. Not sure if you have seen these:

3 Bodies Rally Game / GT - Scale 1:8 - R/C Model World

They are available through a UK supplier here:

Welcome - RC RALLY GAME UK

However they are all 310mm wide (same as the S2) and will be too wide for my S1. Will have to have another look around.

The only problem I am having at the moment is getting the steering to return to centre. It will from a left turn but not right. With the wheels off the ground you can see that even with a slight turn to the right, it does not return it just stays in an off centre position. The steering doesn't seem to be binding anywhere and the servo saver looks OK. I have a new Hitec servo to fit tomorrow as the current steering one is an old Acoms and I wanted to replace it anyway. If you can think of anything else I could check then let me know!

Not sure what else to upgrade yet, perhaps it's worthwhile keeping my eye out for an S2.

Thanks again and let me know how your project goes.

Mark.

Last edited:

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Hi mark those two photos of my S1 Rally Game are before I added the Egral shock towers,Egral centre diff mount and self cooling brake discs and also the rear ball universal drive shafts,the car has only been used 4 times between 2003 when I bought it and 2004 when I lasted used it and hasn't been used since then due to health reason but I'm getting back in to using my R/C cars again.

If you want to add upgrades you can add all the Egral alloy parts apart from

PD0772 EGRAL SERVO SAVER TOP PLATE

PD0758 EGRAL FR UPPER ARM MT

as they are only for the S2 EB4

You can also use:

PD1230 BALL UNIVERSAL to replace the front and rear drive shafts as PD1231 won't fit the rear as they will only fit the wider S2.

For the centre shafts I'm not sure as I used PD0774 Centre front universal shafts for both front and rear and where designed for the Thunder tiger Mirage Off-road buggy which is what the S1 rally game is based on,and PD0774 were also an upgrade for the early EB4 Buggy too.

So you might be able to use these below but I'm not 100% sure

PD1228 CENTRE BALL UNIVERSAL to replace the centre drive shafts front and rear

If they won't fit PD0774 will fit for sure if you can find some.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
I have photos of my S1 Rally Game in another thread on here with the Egral parts added but I'll post them again in this thread also the car was a little dusty when I took them and I still haven't got round to cleaning it.

B

Bunkerbarge

This is probably not my sort of thing normally however I can always appreciate and enjoy looking at a quality piece of engineering. Both these models are beautifully put together and fascinating to watch at the track.

I'm lucky enough to have a purpose built track in my town so occassionally go and watch a meeting, not for me though, I'd wreck it on the first corner.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Well I thought it was going to be hard to get PD0687 Main Gear Shaft for my S2 Rally Game as no-one was selling one on-line new and tonight I thought I would just look on ebay to see if anyone was selling one like I've been doing since I got my S2 buggy,and there it was in front of me a Main Gear Shaft complete with main gear taken from a used EB4 S2 buggy so I bought it quick before someone else bought it and I also bought a new main gear for when the used one needs replacing.

I am so glad that is sorted now I just need to get the other bits at the weekend when I have more money.

M

markt1891

I have still not had any luck sourcing a bodyshell, am now considering a buggy conversion. What do you know about the S3? The S3 rally game seems pretty rare and I am not sure if it was even sold in the UK. Do you know what parts would be required to convert an S3 buggy to S3 rally game? I have just downloaded the manuals for both models from the TT website so will take a look.

Speaking of manuals... I have the original manual for the S1 Rally Game if you want a scanned copy. Not much info in it really but it might be of interest to you.

Mark.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Hi mark I already have that Manual for my S1 Rally Game but thanks anyway.

The parts you will need to convert a S3 Buggy in to a S3 Rally Game are PD2262 Rally Bumper Mount S3 RG,PD2263 Rally Sponge Bumper S3 RG and PD2264 Front Body Support Set,as you can reuse the rear body mount from your S1 and the Body posts.

It might be easier to convert an S2 Buggy as you can reuse most of the parts from your S1 Rally game as you will only need to buy the new style bumper PD1787 plus S2 Buggys are cheaper to get hold off ebay than S3 Buggys.

M

markt1891

I checked the differences in part numbers between the S3 Buggy and S3 rally game (using the parts list in the manuals) and there were quite a few differences (in additon to the body supports and bumper). For example:

PD0479 Turnbuckles

PD1800 Differential Set Center

PD2256 Differential FR & RR

PD2260 Chassis, S3 RG

PD2261 CTR Diff Top Plate

PD2270 Fuel Tank and Post

All of these parts are listed in the RG parts list but don't exist in the buggy parts list. Would you have expected this to be the case?

I think you might be right though, the S2 is probably an easier option. One thing that interested me about the S3 is that there seems to be a 2 speed conversion for the S3 RG although it's only available in the US. I already contact TT about this and they have stated it's not possible to fit it into the S2.

TowerHobbies.com | PD2267 Thunder Tiger 2-Speed Transmission Set EB-4 S3

Sorry for all the questions, I don't really know much about the differences between the buggy and RG. Thanks so much for your help.

Mark.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Well I didn't know that they had that much difference between the two but you could still convert a S3 buggy but the cost would be higher than converting an S2 buggy and you can fit a 2 speed to a S2 as some people have done it but I haven't found any info on how they did it or with what 2 speed,but to get more speed from the car with single speed you just fit a bigger engine that has more hp power and revs higher.

To show that a 2 speed can be fitted to a S2 rally game just watch this video on this site :EB4 S2 Rally Game with 2 Speed

I prefer single Speed as it's cheaper to replace one gear than to replace two,plus the standard pro 21 engine has plenty of power to shift the car.

M

markt1891

Hi,

I think I might do an S2 Buggy to S2 RG conversion as you have done, I think it would be the best option. Could you do me a quick favour and list the part no's of the parts you bought (I think you have a pic of them in this thread)?

The reason I ask is that I might just buy new parts for the conversion rather than remove parts from my S1 (assuming I can source them), just want to make sure I get everything I need!

Thanks for your help.

Mark.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
These are the parts you will need to convert an S2 buggy in to a S2 Rally Game and I have also added online shops that have the parts in stock.

PD1052 1/8 Rear Body mount - Anticsonline have this but only at one of the stores but you might be able to order it online and they could send it from the store but I would ring to ask them if they could do that.

Thunder Tiger 1/8 Rear Body Support Set (PD1052) | Antics Online Model Shop

PD0691 Body Support Set - Thunder Tiger RG Spare Body Support Set Rally Game (PD0691) | Antics Online Model Shop

PD1787 Front Bumper Mount - Thunder Tiger PD1787 Front Bumper Mount RG (Rallygame): Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games

PD1788 Sponge Bumper - Thunder Tiger RG Spare Foam Bumper EB4 Rally Game (PD1788) | Antics Online Model Shop

PD0687 Centre Solid Axle

AD0363 46T Plastic main gear

But if you can get a Version 1 S2 buggy you won't need to buy PD0687 and AD0363 as the Version 1 S2 came with one as I would of got an S2 version 1 if I had know that before I got the S2 Buggy off ebay,but never mind I got the Centre solid shaft and main gear in the end just can't fit it yet as I need threadlocker for the brake bolts as I don't want to remove the centre mount twice.

M

markt1891

Thanks for the information and also looking for some stock, most appreciated. Some of the Antics stores are quite close to me as I live in the South West and work in Bristol.

Took the S1 RG out this morning and snapped a front knuckle.. luckily I have some spares of those.

Mark.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Hi mark two items are at there internet and mail order centre and and the other is at there Antics Model Shop (Gloucester),so you could go to your local antics store and see if they can get those parts sent to them so you can buy them there as it's worth a try to see if they will.

I'm hoping to get another EB4 S2 buggy for spares next weekend off ebay if there is one cheap enough as it's cheaper than try to buy the parts separate.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Finally got the rest of the parts to complete my S2 Rally Game plus some spare parts in case I break anything when I start using it,and today I bought an S1 Rally Game rolling Chassis without engine and controls as Spares for my S1 Rally Game as parts for it are hard to find and was glad to find this on Ebay.

So I have got spares for both cars now.

And I am looking forward to getting out and using them both.

N

NoObsalad NITRO Addiction

Hi steve

i know this post is a couple of months old but i am dumb founded and i dont know how to use these forum its my first time whitch makes this even worse. but i just recently bought 1/8 scale nitro rc car uesd it has the same body shown in the first pic but it has been cut for the wheels space no biggy everything looks the same as the first car you have in the first couple of pics for the red chassie everything but the motor is 21p so i am not sure what car i have but i think its the S2 ok heres my problum i drove it onces and broke the front knuckle bought a new one from tower hobbies but found a hop so i got those comeing so its fixed again but the pull start houseing was missing some screws and like a dumb monkey i took it apart and its trash so now i dont have a way of starting the car that being said i went and got a starter box and come to found out that the starter box rubber flywheel is to big to ingage the flywheel on the car the hole on the chassie is to small please can you help me and give me any information on what i can do to start my rc car again

Thanks

if you want pics let me know

sorry for the long post and spelling