Queen Boudicca of the Iceni

P

Paul P

Hi all

this is something ive been planning for months, im going to make a scratch bulit model of the famous Boudicca in her chariot which will also have a 2 horse team and a driver.

For the chariot i have a set of drawings and plans from the british museum, curtesy of a Dr Jody Joy, (great name) . Unfortunately i cant show you the plans as they are in a pdf and i cant separate them, but here is a picture of a similar chariot used in the series Boudicca

Im using styrenes sheet and rod for the parts and i started with the axle and the yoke pole, these were cut from 1mm sheet and glued together to get the desired thickness and then sanded and shaped

and next the yoke was made again from 1mm sheet

all for now more to follow

Paul

C

CDW

Looking forward to this, its a period in history that is included in my fascination with ancient cultures.

That "chariot" looks quite close to what I have seen in historical literature.

Most depictions have swords coming out the hubs (Roman (ish) not Celtic), loads of brass and copper shiney plates stuck to them (again Roman (ish:smiling3:)) a few show a single horse pulling it, we had ponies and they were used in pairs.

Knowing your tenacity in getting things right .... This will be awesome .. again :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Can't wait to see more of this Paul.

Looking forward to the next instalmant.

Tony.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I'll be watching this as well Paul......... Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Peter

P

Paul P

Hi all

Nice to see ill have a bit of company on this, so fitted the yoke, yoke spa and the axle together and made sure that everything was square

I then had to work on the hardest bit, the wheels, ever tried to cut a perfect circle :emo10::emo10::emo10::emo10:. another problem with wheels is getting the spokes correct and then fitting them to the rim. So first of all I made a template

I turned the hub from a piece of 15mm dowel and marked out the position of the spokes

and then fixed the spokes into place

Then fitted the rim, a bit of straightening needed when the glue has gone off but all in all im quite pleased with it

all for now

Paul

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
An interesting project that I am sure you will nail.

If you have plans on cutting many circles, I can recommend getting hold of a circle cutter or as I use a pair of dividers. Sharpen one of the needles chisel style and go cut some circles in some plastic !!

I've got the chips in, (salt 'n' vineager) and the beer is chilling in the fridge!

Ian m

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Hi allNice to see ill have a bit of company on this, so fitted the yoke, yoke spa and the axle together and made sure that everything was square

I then had to work on the hardest bit, the wheels, ever tried to cut a perfect circle :emo10::emo10::emo10::emo10:. another problem with wheels is getting the spokes correct and then fitting them to the rim. So first of all I made a template

I turned the hub from a piece of 15mm dowel and marked out the position of the spokes

and then fixed the spokes into place

Then fitted the rim, a bit of straightening needed when the glue has gone off but all in all im quite pleased with it

all for now

Paul
Hi Paul ............... For perfect circles try one of these ?????

View attachment 66306

They are cheap on evilbay..............

ROLSON COMPASS CIRCLE HOLE CUTTER UP TO 15CM DIAMETER CRAFT SUIT CARD MAKERS ETC | eBay

Peter

View attachment 67389

cutter.jpg

P

Paul P

Thanks for the comments guys, Pete just ordered one thanks

Paul

C

CDW

I must be really cheap coz I just draw round the bottom of suitably sized round objects :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

Edit* sorry meant to say that's a really neat job on the hub and spokes.

P

Paul P

\ said:
I must be really cheap coz I just draw round the bottom of suitably sized round objects :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3: Edit* sorry meant to say that's a really neat job on the hub and spokes.
Normally I would but as this is to a scale and the plan says the wheel is 54mm in dia I couldn't find anything the correct size, still the problem though with cutting it out exactly round

Thanks for the comments

Paul

P

Paul P

Well with a careful bit of filing managed to get the first wheel done

So one more to make so I started on the frame

These were made from several layers of 1mm thick styrene and then sanded and shaped

all for now

Paul

P

Paul P

heres a few pics of the frame fixed to the axle and yoke pole, this will also have lashings on all the joints

The next step was to make the suspension hoops, these are 4 half round hoops attached to the frame that had hide straps on them that supported the latticed floor plate

more to follow

Paul

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
You do "crack-on" Paul ............. This project is looking good.

Peter

P

Paul P

cheers Pete, it wont always be so quick, just had a bit of time lately.

The next part to make is the deck, this was made from a timber frame and the had a hide lattice work, so I made the frame from 1mm styrene and added 2mm spacers

I then used .25mm styrene cut into 1.5mm strips and wove the them through the slots to make the lattice work

The final part for the base was the support bars

thanks for looking in more to follow later

Paul

P

Paul P

With the other hoops done and foot board as well, i added tracer eyes to the yoke and started on the bindings, every joint was bound with hide strapping.

I also had to make a platted strap that would support the foot board when it was suspended from the hoops

The platted strap was the wrapped around the hoop, and the strapping continued accross the whole hoop

3 more to go

Paul

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Totally amazing scratchbuilding paul, its a real pleasure to watch this come together , looking forward to the next bit , cheers tony

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Wow poetry in motion a pleasure to watch some serious skills you have I'll be watching this thread for sure keep it coming Paul

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just seen this Paul. What a great project and what great work your doing keep it up and those pictures coming

P

Paul P

thanks for the comments guys, I have to say im quite pleased with the results so far. Just another pic showing a bit more binding, its quite time consuming but only 2 to go

more to follow

Paul