question: Worn steel road wheels

P

papercuts

Hi! My first time here and of course ive got a question. :confused: I have Bin researching into my next build, an italeri elefant 211 (wich is an awsome tank) and while i was looking around i saw an old build of the same tank made by this guy Ferdinand by Chris Leeman (Italeri 1/35) wich is breathtaking. And my question is how do one paint those worn steel road wheels? He unfortunately doesn't go into detail about this effect which has bin logged in my brain ever sins.

D

dubster72

When I've done steel roadwheels on a Tiger or Panther, I've painted them as usual & then run a pencil around the rim and the rims edge to simulate worn shiny metal. It works a treat!

Cheers

Patrick

P

papercuts

\ said:
When I've done steel roadwheels on a Tiger or Panther, I've painted them as usual & then run a pencil around the rim and the rims edge to simulate worn shiny metal. It works a treat!Cheers

Patrick
Wow! That was quick thanks Patrick! one more question how do i get the browish shade

D

dubster72

Having just looked at the link to Chris's Ferdinand / Elephant, I see he does his roadwheels like me!

For painting them, I'd use desert yellow, a dark brown oil or enamel wash & drybrush with either buff or lightened desert yellow.

P

papercuts

A million thanks Patrick! This build is gonna be sweet.

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Question have you got an airbrush or do you use the brush..???

D

dubster72

Many thin coats if you're using a brush Tobias. Give it a go & keep us informed of your progress. I've always had a hankering to do an Elefant in the Italian campaign.

Cheers

Patrick

C

CDW

\ said:
i use the brush so its not going to be the same but i have to try it out
Same here, with acrylics, and am pretty pleased with the results so far.

Like Patrick said - thin coats and build it up slowly. You can blend colours by adding a thin coat of a new colour to a partly dried previous colour. Its possible to wash colours together with a wet brush before they completely dry (preferably natural hair as nylon can sometimes scratch the paint rather than wash it over)

And finally Parick - an Italian campaign Elefant ..... i'm up for that too, maybe we could have a twin build (not a build off coz i'm not exactly in your league matey :smiling3: )

D

dubster72

\ said:
Same here, with acrylics, and am pretty pleased with the results so far.Like Patrick said - thin coats and build it up slowly. You can blend colours by adding a thin coat of a new colour to a partly dried previous colour. Its possible to wash colours together with a wet brush before they completely dry (preferably natural hair as nylon can sometimes scratch the paint rather than wash it over)

And finally Parick - an Italian campaign Elefant ..... i'm up for that too, maybe we could have a twin build (not a build off coz i'm not exactly in your league matey :smiling3: )
I wouldn't put it like that Colin! Your work is pretty damn good! I'd be up for a twin build, just as soon as I've got the others out of the way.

Cheers

Patrick

P

papercuts

\ said:
Many thin coats if you're using a brush Tobias. Give it a go & keep us informed of your progress. I've always had a hankering to do an Elefant in the Italian campaign.Cheers

Patrick
I will cheers! Im going to make a diorama with this tank at the battle of krusk.

P

papercuts

\ said:
Same here, with acrylics, and am pretty pleased with the results so far.Like Patrick said - thin coats and build it up slowly. You can blend colours by adding a thin coat of a new colour to a partly dried previous colour. Its possible to wash colours together with a wet brush before they completely dry (preferably natural hair as nylon can sometimes scratch the paint rather than wash it over)

Thanks for the advice! keep em comin =P

D

dubster72

\ said:
I will cheers! Im going to make a diorama with this tank at the battle of krusk.
I wouldn't do that! At Kursk they were Ferdinand's ( named after Ferdinand Porsche ) but due to the lack of a bow mounted MG, they suffered high losses from Soviet infantry.

After Kursk they were fitted with a bow MG & applique armour & renamed Elefants by Hitler himself!

Cheers

Patrick

C

CDW

\ said:
I'd be up for a twin build, just as soon as I've got the others out of the way.
Ok then, a future 1/35 Elephant Italian campaign spec twin build it is!!!

Sorry to hi-jack the thread Tobias :smiling3:

P

papercuts

\ said:
I wouldn't do that! At Kursk they were Ferdinand's ( named after Ferdinand Porsche ) but due to the lack of a bow mounted MG, they suffered high losses from Soviet infantry.After Kursk they were fitted with a bow MG & applique armour & renamed Elefants by Hitler himself!

Cheers

Patrick
Whoops! I got my history all wrong =/ im always in a rush

P

papercuts

\ said:
Ok then, a future 1/35 Elephant Italian campaign spec twin build it is!!!Sorry to hi-jack the thread Tobias :smiling3:
Hi-jack all you want mate!