Quickie: DM 53 APFSDS projectile in 1:12 scale

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
On another forum, a group build that ran until today had the theme of “movement”: build a military subject so that it gives the impression of motion. I wanted to join but had no real idea what to do with that in a way that wouldn’t take ages, but eventually got the idea for a modern tank gun projectile while it’s in the air — hoe much more movement could you want? :smiling3:

After finding some photos and drawings, I decided on 1:12 scale because that meant I could build it around a length of 2 mm rod:

IMG_9829.jpeg

The nose cone is from a 1:35 scale tank gun round, the wire is copper and the fins are 0.25 mm plastic card. The whole thing is fitted to a length of 0.4 mm spring steel wire as a stand.

But this isn’t movement, so I took a Games Workshop “biker” base and glued plastic card over the top:

IMG_9827.jpeg

Followed by semi-random pieces of plastic strip:

IMG_9830.jpegIMG_9831.jpeg

Once the glue had dried, I cut and filed the overhanging parts to conform to the base shape and painted everything:

IMG_9843.jpegIMG_9844.jpegIMG_9845.jpeg

The projectile is silver with Tamiya Smoke over it, then matt black for the nose and tail. The base is an earth brown with some sand-coloured areas (deliberately not covering well), then a layer of Army Painter Soft Tone for shadows and a quick drybrush with sand; that done I painted two bits of strip green, added a wash of Army Painter Green Tone and a yellow-green drybrush, and finished :smiling3:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Jakko,
Looks good but if you could mimic the sabbot leaving the round that would really make to look like it was moving.

An-Armour-Piercing-Fin-Stabilized-Discarding-Sabot-APFSDS-projectile.png

cheers
Scottie

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Looks good but if you could mimic the sabbot leaving the round that would really make to look like it was moving.
That was my first idea, yes. But I don’t see how I could make three sabot pieces without a lot of work — and that would turn this from a quick-and-dirty, “cool idea, let’s do this” type of model into a very involved one. Well, 3D printing would do the trick, but then I might as well have used that for the projectile too.