RAF spit mk9 interior collour?

T

T. van Vuuren

Hi all.

Can someone please tell me the cockpit collour of the Spit mk9?(humbrol or tamiya if possable)

I will start a 1/48 ICM Mk9 soon.

Thanx

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It was interior grey/green,much debate about the Humbrol colour as the one originally intended for this later got altered and relabelled for Sky ! That was the OLD Humbrol 90. Tamiya XF 71 is allegedly a very close match for this. I don't think Humbrol do a good match anymore.

Cheers

Steve

PJP

Peter/Pedro/Hey you
First Name
Peter
Steve

That's a blow. I've just spent a whole £1.49 on a Humbrol cockpit green and now I'll have to bin it!!

Tamiya XF 71, anything that John stocks that'll do it?

Peter

F

Fenlander

you could use Xtracrylix interior green. however it is the american colour so it is a bit duller (more towards an olive) but I use it on my RAF stuff, it will look better with a small percentage of very light grey in it. I think it is under the FS colours in the forum shop. On my mobile at the mo otherwise I would have a dig arround. have a look at my Mosquito build and compare the cockpit to Stevedore gorqeous Spitfire and you will see the difference.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The Xtracrylix cockpit green is way too green and dark for the RAF colour. It's closer to The U.S. bronze green or dull dark green. I used it but tipped a load of RLM76 (blue/grey) into it to lighten and "blue/grey" it considerably.

Some original paint was unearthed on a Spitfire frame recently when a data plate was removed and it really is quite a light colour. I will try to find a photograph of that later tonight or tomorrow morning depending on how work goes.

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

I did not mean to call you Stevedore, Steve, I am still trying to get to grips with one of these bloody 'virtual keyboards' on my phone. For some reason it does on occasion think it knows better than me about what I am thinking. Sadly, very often it is right, but not on this occasion lol

I agree that the Xtracrylix is too brown green instead of grey green hence my suggestion that the two were compared. Not sure anyone does a really good RAF interior green.

T

T. van Vuuren

Thanx for the replies lads. I wonder how critical it would be if I used a Humbrol that is slightly "off" ? I recon also that the eye can be cheated into believing it is correct as the cockpit on a 48 scale spit is rather small.

I assume the mk9 was a spit that had the hastely aplied invation marks on a few days before 6 june??? All the decals of the stripes are very neat and straight ,whereas Steve has shown pix of them being aplied by brush and rather "crude"

This is my idea for a little airfield diorama.

Theuns

PS. would Tamija XF24 or Humbrol extra dark sea grey be OK for a ME 262 cockpit???

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Theuns,of course you can cheat a bit on a model,I do all the time.

Many MkIX Spitfires were striped for D-Day along with a few MkVs. Did I post the pictures of the badly painted USAAF Spitfires?

A dark grey maybe with a very slightly blue cast is what you want for RLM66,I don't know the Tamiya colour but EDSG will be in the ball park,maybe add a little black to reduce it'd blueness a bit.

As a matter of interest Jerry Crandall showed that the formula for RLM66 (which existed pre-war) changed numerous times but the actual colour varied very little. He identifies only two variations,an early colour which was bluer than the later one. Your Me262 would certainly have the later variation.

Cheers

Steve

T

T. van Vuuren

Thanx Steve. I see the plans call for Tamiya XF-63 (if all else fails, read the instructions!)

I was just wondering, what do you mean the spits were "striped" for the invation?

I have an idea to do the dio with the paint being aplied "in-field" the night before tipe thing., Bucket of paint and brush on the wing LOL.

Would these mk9's be relatively war weary and weathered by '44 or were thewy still in relativly good nick?

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Theuns ,I just mean that many MkIXs had invasion stripes applied for D-Day. Spitfire IXs were still being produced well into 1944 so the choice is yours,you can do an old warhorse or something a few weeks old.

I like the sound of your dio,a bucket of paint and a brush sounds about right!

Cheers

Steve

T

T. van Vuuren

Yes, and the painter just stepped away for tea and left everything as is!

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I can't find my Grey/green Spitfire picture but here is the same colour in an unrestored Lancaster contrasting nicely with the yellow zinc chromate primer on the part behind. Two colours for the price of one!

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Found it.

And what to me at least looks like a good restoration.

Cheers

Steve

T

T. van Vuuren

Thanx Steve, that is as close as I can see to my Humbrol #78.

I think it also depends allot on the light the plane is viewed in.

With a flash thegreen might have a little more blue to it, and in darker light it might look more grey.

As with the law, it all in in the interpretaion!

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
You're right Theuns. I know the colour that was under the data plate is on a photograph taken in natural light. I can't vouch for the others but they both look like a flash was used to me.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I use Vallejo Model colour "Green Sky" paint nr 70974 in all my Spitfires, and I think it looks about right.

Looking at the second photo you posted Steve, Where the data plate was removed, I would say that its a pretty good match for a new painted cock-pit. By the time its been dirted up a bit, the paint that is, i would say its not to far off.

Ian M

Last edited by a moderator:
T

T. van Vuuren

I muust say, some one did a darn good job of "dirtying up" arround that data plate!!! LOL

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I muust say, some one did a darn good job of "dirtying up" arround that data plate!!! LOLTheuns
60 odd years before restoration.I've got some notes on it somewhere but I'll only find them by accident! I was lucky to find the photo. One day ,when I've got enough time, I'll organise all the digital aircraft data I currently have spread over this computer and another hard drive into something a bit less like random order!!!

Steve

Steve

PJP

Peter/Pedro/Hey you
First Name
Peter
I have the Humbrol 78 referred to, but just to be safe I'll stop by at Manston about 10 minutes away where there is a restored Hurricane and Spitfire and have a look for comparison.

If anyone wants any pictues let me know.

peter

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
I have the Humbrol 78 referred to, but just to be safe I'll stop by at Manston about 10 minutes away where there is a restored Hurricane and Spitfire and have a look for comparison.If anyone wants any pictues let me know.

peter
Do bears poop in the woods?!?!?! Just fill the whole simcard up with as many photos you can get on it. A couple of realld good walkarounds would always be most welcome on here!!! just how many cock-pit pictures do you think you will get before they throw you out? lol.

By the bye, I have an old tin of Humbrol 120 in my drawer and that dont look to far off either. I think its out of production now but I'm usually wronge.

Ian M