Rail gun dora

S

STEPHEN11

hi

i have the rail gun dora

i am looking to find the right colours to make the rails and wagon wheels look like iron what would be the best tamiya colours to mix to make the iron look

+ what would be the best colours to use for the gavel in tamiya

thanks very much

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Stephen and welcome!

For the wheels and rails you must remember that only the parts of these that are in contact with each other are shiny, the rest would be either rusty, grimy or both!

For the tops of the rails, and the 'tyre' part of the train wheels, I would suggest a bright silver. Tamiya Chrome silver? (I'm not a user of there paint so I can't help with a number). For the rest I would suggest a rusty brown. If you take a look at the wheels and tracks at a rail way, you will get an idea of the colour to go for. The Balast (gravel) would also be almost the same colour. This is of course if the track is old and well used.

Ian M

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Hi and welcome to the forum Stephen. I had a quick look on here -

Tamiya Color - Acrylic Paint

And I think possibly XF-56 and X-11 for the wheels, and a combination if grays, a dark, medium and a light one, don't know which ones would be best, your choice, to give the gravel a textured feel.

Keep asking questions mate, there's always someone here with an answer, or at least a point in the right direction. It's not called the friendly forum for nowt.:thumbsup:

Good luck with your build, and show us some pictures when you're done.

ATB

Tony.