Rating Model Companies

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I wonder if anyone has ever done a survey of the models that win gold in competition. Not that this is any real guideline but it would illustrate the importance of the builder as opposed to the original model, since I suspect that all manufacturers would be represented amongst the winning models. I know not everyone is interested in competitions and I am not suggesting that they should be. However I would be interested to see the range of manufacturers that can turn out award winning models; in the right hands.

John
It would be interesting indeed. I suspect though that this comes down to the modeller in virtually all cases. At Telford I saw a superb build of the 1/32 Kitty Hawk OV-10 Bronco, a real show stopper from the biggest dog awful kit ever produced in 1/32 scale!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
The problem sometimes is that some manufacturers don't listen to feedback or think that experienced modelers can solve the problem. This I heard when when an LHS owner asked the manufacturer why decals for ordnance not given and the reply was experienced modelers should already have spares from the previous other kits bought from the same brand or after-market alternatives. What an assumption! What if it's a first kit?
I don't often build modern jets so when I was asked to build a D version, I was lucky to have modelers who have built the A to C versions advise me on the bad instruction sheet and the bad labelling of the colors apart from the bad fit of the front of the canopy suffering a large step. Since it was a new Gold stamped box, they were eager to know if the bad fit had been corrected. Sorry to say no but some added parts for the D version were supplied. The grey and black stripes Tiger Meet and stencils were on a huge sheet that worked well but no ordnance markings or formation lights which should have been on a separate colored sheet. Missing also were the Tiger Meet markings for the outer fuel drop tanks.
Did a decent finish with the canopy correction that many thought it wasn't from that brand. The heads up from my colleagues certainly helped iron out the kinks including the PE HUD literally were squashed in their builds.
Safe to say other kits from their range fair better.

Cheers,
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
it would be nice if manufacturers would add the warning "Canopy required to be scratch built if you want a half-decent fit" on the box
Instead of “skill level” requirements, they might as well put an indicator on the side of the box along the lines of:

□Great fit
□Decent fit
□Needs some work
■Piece of crap
□Leave in the shop

I’m sure this will boost their sales no end.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I wonder if anyone has ever done a survey of the models that win gold in competition. Not that this is any real guideline but it would illustrate the importance of the builder as opposed to the original model, since I suspect that all manufacturers would be represented amongst the winning models. I know not everyone is interested in competitions and I am not suggesting that they should be. However I would be interested to see the range of manufacturers that can turn out award winning models; in the right hands.

John

Don't know too much about competition winners John, but you've only got to look around on here to find absolutely stunning models that have been built from both top of the range kits and total dogs. Whatever you start with, the final result is always down to the hands of the builder.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I have a feeling that competition winners will more often be the best-painted model rather than the best-built model. That is, if you build a 1970s model straight from the box and paint it fabulously, you’ll be more likely to win a prize in a competition than if you totally scratchbuild a model with fabulously fine detail, and paint it like was the norm in the 1970s.

(Excepting competitions for unpainted models, of course, which exist exactly because of that, I think.)

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not sure about that myself Jakko, but I have never entered a competition. From entries I’ve seen at the few exhibitions I’ve been to, it seems like the most artistically painted model that wins. This is not the most accurately painted model, but it is the one that visually “pops” on the table. Hence the over reliance on chipping and extreme weathering as artistic expression.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Not sure about that myself Jakko, but I have never entered a competition. From entries I’ve seen at the few exhibitions I’ve been to, it seems like the most artistically painted model that wins. This is not the most accurately painted model, but it is the one that visually “pops” on the table. Hence the over reliance on chipping and extreme weathering as artistic expression.
You could be right there on the scoring sheet Tim. For judging there is a portion of the entry form to fill in what was done to the kit whether was AM or scratch building. But better judges will consider the overdone element correctly on occasion. Judging is seldom done byva single judge but unfortunately manufacturers are unvited to judge which could be bias.

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Well not tryin to be big headed here at all but i love competition's in a model show as i enter for just a bit of fun an i dont take them seriously at all but to my amazement ive won several best in show trophys an plauge's an even thrown some away as they were clutering the room up but to me its all the fun of takin part but thats just me ps an what amazed me more than anything was a chap who i sold one of my ships to put it in as his own make an won first prize as best in show but i dint say anything as i dint want to ruin the day an cause an upset but this is true belevive it or not
chris

Last edited:

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I have read all the comments as well as the introduction to this thread.
As the saying goes you can put a blanket on a donkey and call it a race horse, but it is still a donkey.
This is a hobby, and it is up to the individual if they choose to pay out xyz amounts of money on what they perceive to be a 'great' kit. I have a neighbour whose grandson is 'into' modelmaking and I am sure that he could take the Tamiya 1.32 scale Spitfire and have it built painted and finished in a day - I am not saying that all the parts would be where they should be or put on in the correct order, but he would be happy with the kit.
Some people can take the worst model and turn it into a masterpiece, others can take the most expensive model and turn it into junk but that is not because of price, manufacturer or quality of mouldings, but the quality of the model maker. Personally I have paid out large amounts of money on kits from established manufacturers that come highly reccomended, and one in particular I can remember having to virtually scratchbuild the whole model through one fault or another, and yet I have built a model that others have scorned and it has turned out to be a gem! So it comes down to you pays your money - you takes your chance, I prefer subject over cost.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
it seems like the most artistically painted model that wins. This is not the most accurately painted model, but it is the one that visually “pops” on the table.
That’s what I meant with “best-painted”, though I should probably have put it a bit differently. “Best” as in: most artistically, not most accurately.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Nothing wrong with anyone taking part in competitions, I just don’t feel the need to turn my hobby into a competitive sport :tongue-out3:
Yes very true Tim as if it was a seriousl competition then i would not bother to take part as you say our hobby is just that a hobby to enjoy an have fun doin it
chris

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
This now puts me into a quandry, will I be looked at as just a competition modeller, or will I be looked at as just another modeller, should I just say goodbye now and retire to my lofty castle and look down on the mere mortals down there in model land.
I have entered competitions because I enjoy the fun of comic rivalry, meeting new modellers and old friends and even some from this forum.
Models - ALL of my models start out as a kit - be that kit a dog or a thoroughbred, I then put my skills learned and still learning into my build, and many on here have seen the results and the total disasters, have read my rants about certain manufacturers and their expensive trash bin fillers and taken what information I have added to my blogs as usefull information.
A model is what you the modelmaker make of it - whether it cost a small fortune or you scratchbuilt every part from a mere sheet of plasticard - it is your model and yours alone. Just because you choose to enter a competition does not make you any different as a modelmaker, you are still a modelmaker, so stop the whining and get back to doing what you enjoy, and if whining is your passion then at least you are happy.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
And in the competition hall, we have seen those very serious ones, who take it all far to seriously..
WELL Mike all i can say is thats up to them but all they are doin is upsettin themselves if they dont win any trophys or such but thats not for me as i said to me its just a bit of fun of jionin in an i will still enjoy the day at a show ps when there is a show as they have cancceled all our shows around where i live due to corvid
chris

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I remember watching a guy on U tube who built kits for Airfix. They gave him the kit and he would set too and build, making notes on the build as he went. He didn't get paid other than having the kit.
I wish I could find this clip as it struck me that a company like that would take advantage of a skilled modeller to test out their product and not offer him any payment.

Many of you are superb modellers where as my modelling skills with plastic parts are some what lacking, so I resort to damage and of course the use of fire ! Some of the instructions I find are pitiful and confusing. This you might find strange as I spent years reading and making drawings for woodworking and joinery.

I derive more pleasure, ( that 's what this whole thing is about) in making the dio, rather than the actual kit.
So to me the back ground is as important if not more so than the model !

At the end of the day its for relaxation ! and fun. So i'm told;)

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
This now puts me into a quandry, will I be looked at as just a competition modeller, or will I be looked at as just another modeller, should I just say goodbye now and retire to my lofty castle and look down on the mere mortals down there in model land.
I have entered competitions because I enjoy the fun of comic rivalry, meeting new modellers and old friends and even some from this forum.
Models - ALL of my models start out as a kit - be that kit a dog or a thoroughbred, I then put my skills learned and still learning into my build, and many on here have seen the results and the total disasters, have read my rants about certain manufacturers and their expensive trash bin fillers and taken what information I have added to my blogs as usefull information.
A model is what you the modelmaker make of it - whether it cost a small fortune or you scratchbuilt every part from a mere sheet of plasticard - it is your model and yours alone. Just because you choose to enter a competition does not make you any different as a modelmaker, you are still a modelmaker, so stop the whining and get back to doing what you enjoy, and if whining is your passion then at least you are happy.

I can't see anyone here being judgemental about whether you enter competitions or not Mike. Just like the rest of us, it's your hobby to follow how you please, and we got a fair few guys like you who enter competitions more for the fun of it than the chance to earn a cupboardful of trophies.