Recently discovered splattering with fine lines

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
After a long while away from the hobby and one hell of a hard move this summer, I'm back. And its great to be back here!

I've attached some photos of my current weird issue-A badger 105 and velocity, both fine airbrushes are giving me grief when making fine hairlines. I'm getting these "Ghost splatters" around the line itself which I've never really noticed before.

In this shot, I'm running 50% IPA and Tamiya acrylic at 10psi. These brushes are spotless thanks to my new ultrasonic cleaner so its most likely me.

Any thoughts or tips about this? This ghosting is both close up, high or low pressure and may be needing to be thinned....Thanks for looking and have a great rest of the day or night! Take care, Jeff

View attachment 90107

View attachment 90108

View attachment 90109

photo 1.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I don't know your airbrushes but 10 psi is awfully low pressure for spraying. Many airbrushes will not properly 'atomise' the paint in the paint/air mixture at such low pressure.

Assuming that there are no issues with the brushes themselves I would try increasing the pressure substantially to see what happens. I typically spray model paints at around 35 psi.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Beat me to it Steve. Its either that or the mix needs thinning more.

The two things kind of go hand in hand. the thicker the paint the more pressure will be needed to get it to spray properly. So as Steve said more air, or if like me you cant always get under the desk to turn up the air, more thinner. Just don't over thin it o.O

Ian M

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
Thanks guys!! Yes, I really turned down the psi but realized that I just need my paint thinned more. I did try high, around 30psi or so or but it did the same ghosting, probably due to thickness. Thanks for the reply guys!! BTW-I did not get any notification emails....I'll check my settings.

L

Laurie

Matter of interest Jeff what surface are you airbrushing on to ? Also what needle nozzle are you using ?

Laurie

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
\ said:
Matter of interest Jeff what surface are you airbrushing on to ? Also what needle nozzle are you using ?Laurie
oh yes, forgot that part- its a .02mm nozzle and I'm trying both paper towel and sheets of regular typing paper. I also used a spare plastic part (gas tank)

L

Laurie

A thought Jeff. Try on a piece of hard plastic or an old drinks bottle.

Not sure on the plastic tank but on the paper with 50% thinning it could be the reason for the fanning out as the paper acts like blotting paper and spreads the paint until dry.

Laurie

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
Ok guys, it looks like thinning my mixture was the culprit. Also, while packing for our move back in May-June I was in such a hurry that I packed it a bit dirtier than normal. I put a new nozzle and needle in as well and now she sprays beautifully.

Laurie- I also considered the medium as well but was worried while trying paper and plastic! Thanks for everyone's input!!

\ said:
A thought Jeff. Try on a piece of hard plastic or an old drinks bottle.Not sure on the plastic tank but on the paper with 50% thinning it could be the reason for the fanning out as the paper acts like blotting paper and spreads the paint until dry.

Laurie
Thanks for the info all!

As it turns out, my nozzle looked OK but the needle was a bit bent ever so slightly so a new set came in a few days ago. This, coupled with a much thinner mixture produced great results. I was pressed for time during our final weeks of packing for our move back in May so I probably did not clean up the equipment well. Thanks again and hope to start up a 1/48 donier do-215 soon!