Recommend me some finishing varnishes please

Easyrider5258

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi all, newbie questions again,

I,m well stocked with Vallejo acrylic colours, and getting on with my first build, need to think about finishing coats, I will need a gloss and a matte and maybe a satin, there so many options and products out there it's left me a bit confused I will be airbrushing but I see there are some spray cans available

Is the the recommended route spray can or airbrush?

Can you recommended a product to suit my Vallejo colors that won't cause conflicts or problems, for instance reports are the Vallejo clear gloss stays tacky for days before able to apply decals? these are the the problems I prefer to avoid.

Thanks for help with the most basic of questions!

Mark

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Personal opinion. For acrylic varnishes I like the VMS range (sold by John at Scale Model Shop shop). For lacquer varnishes I use MRP.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Similar to Jim, I really like the VMS varnishes for airbrushing.

I use a lacquer varnish if I want a really high gloss, Mr Color GX-100, but the water based VMS ones are great for everything else.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Acrylic matt varnish AK 183 Ultra Matte Varnish, and it is matt, I use it on both acrylic and laquer.
Gloss I use Tamiya X-22 Clear 50/50 mix for spraying, again over acrylics or laquers.
For items like headlight lens or instruments I use A.MIG-094 Crystal Glass where a small drop is required.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I use Tamiya thinned with MLT most of the time. Daler Rowney matt is great for brush painting. It’s basically the same as Humbrol Matt Cote, which is also good.