Red Hot Compressor

Jad

First Name
John
As a bit of a newbie into the world of airbrushing, is it normal for the compressor to get red hot and completely cut out?
Had been spraying for quite a while when I lost compression and felt the compressor and was red hot.
It’s FD-186. ?

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
As a bit of a newbie into the world of airbrushing, is it normal for the compressor to get red hot and completely cut out?
Had been spraying for quite a while when I lost compression and felt the compressor and was red hot.
It’s FD-186. ?
No, there should be a pressure switch that'll stop it doing that.
I had one (Pressure switch) fail and that caused the compressor to over run and get hot.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
It is not normal. I would suggest something is wrong. The compressor will get warm after a while but it shouldn't get so hot it cuts out with normal use.

Last edited:

Jad

First Name
John
I got a refund from Amazon.
Any recommends for another compressor? Or do I go again with the same one ?
Ps. The compressor I e is 2 months old and they’ve told me to bin it !

Reactions: JR

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I got a refund from Amazon.
Any recommends for another compressor? Or do I go again with the same one ?
Ps. The compressor I e is 2 months old and they’ve told me to bin it !
I would guess it's down to budget and your personal requirements for what you want it to do!!!! Best you can afford is usually my criteria!!!

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Is it a Piston driven or Diaphram type compressor?.....If piston type, you might look it over to see if there is a lubrication port for servicing it with compressor oil. Something to consider before chucking it in the bin. I know that most of the piston types come factory serviced prior to leaving the facility for marketing. Worth a look see though.

Jad

First Name
John
I would guess it's down to budget and your personal requirements for what you want it to do!!!! Best you can afford is usually my criteria!!!
Limited budget. £100.
Is anything any good for that
Is it a Piston driven or Diaphram type compressor?.....If piston type, you might look it over to see if there is a lubrication port for servicing it with compressor oil. Something to consider before chucking it in the bin. I know that most of the piston types come factory serviced prior to leaving the facility for marketing. Worth a look see though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 11

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
So this is basically what I’ve got ?
Bought mine ( as-189 ) on Amazon ( john's shop on amazon ) and it has been reliable from day one , presurises , stops , and when you start using the pressure it rebuilds it, never noticed it get very hot , though I tend to do 15 minutes at time max , and not spraying constantly.

1682095854317.png

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
From outward appearances I would guess it is a Diaphram type.....meaning it is a dry system. If it is running constantly and not building pressure to the cut off point I can understand why it would over heat. Two things you can check is your pressure cut off switch and the actual diapharam that is in the motor, if it has a defect or tear in it it will not build sufficient pressure to activate the pressure switch causing constant running that could lead to overheating.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Limited budget. £100.
Is anything any good for that
I was actually given mine. (Recently). I was looking sub £100. Quite a few about. The one I was given was a Timbertech model, that was under £100. No complaints as yet but I haven't really used it that much. About a couple of hours on and off total!
Have a search on here using the 'search' function. Some useful info but may take a bit of teasing out.

Reactions: Jad

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I was spraying for 2 hrs ?
That could well be the problem. They are only light duty machines, not for continuous use really.

See if you can break your painting sessions down to give the compressor a rest now and again. There could be nothing wrong with it, you've just worked it a bit hard maybe.

Jad

First Name
John
From outward appearances I would guess it is a Diaphram type.....meaning it is a dry system. If it is running constantly and not building pressure to the cut off point I can understand why it would over heat. Two things you can check is your pressure cut off switch and the actual diapharam that is in the motor, if it has a defect or tear in it it will not build sufficient pressure to activate the pressure switch causing constant running that could lead to overheating.
The compressor fills the tank and cuts off as it’s supposed to do and in use does the same. I was spraying for 2hrs and all of a sudden no compression and was red hot. I e used it again to clean the airbrush and it got warm but not hot ???

Jad

First Name
John
That could well be the problem. They are only light duty machines, not for continuous use really.

See if you can break your painting sessions down to give the compressor a rest now and again. There could be nothing wrong with it, you've just worked it a bit hard maybe.
That’s what the Mrs is always telling me lol

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That is good to hear .....about the compressor I mean :tears-of-joy: If it cuts off as required with ample pressure in the tank. It should not however take too long to charge the tank once it has initially filled and you are spraying. Another suggestion might be to not have it in a confined area so there is ample airflow around it during operation. You could even place a small fan nearby to move air around it , if you think your session will be longer than the norm.