Red Hot Compressor

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Faulty pressure switch, the black thing opposite the red blow off valve It should shut down when the tank reaches 40psi and start again at 30psi. So a new compressor of the same type should be fine provided it operates as it should.
A replacement switch would be about £11.

Reactions: Jad

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Surely you could afford that even if it didn't solve the problem......worth a try just to find out. ;)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Bit late to this, but I seem to remember my 186 having instructions that said limit spray time to twenty minutes maximum, then let it cool for a while. Are we sure this wasn’t just due to overwork?

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John Hi
I agree with the over use suggestion. If the cut out has worked , as it did then things must be ok.

Have you ever drained the moisture out of the bottom including the screw underneath ? Always a good idea to keep the inside of the tank free of moisture anyway.

Jad

First Name
John
Bit late to this, but I seem to remember my 186 having instructions that said limit spray time to twenty minutes maximum, then let it cool for a while. Are we sure this wasn’t just due to overwork?
This is in the manual but can’t find anything about 20 mins ?
Runs very hot ?
And had an email from support at Fengda saying the same.

Attachments

• IMG_7136.png
    IMG_7136.png
    436.6 KB · Views: 6

Jad

First Name
John
John Hi
I agree with the over use suggestion. If the cut out has worked , as it did then things must be ok.

Have you ever drained the moisture out of the bottom including the screw underneath ? Always a good idea to keep the inside of the tank free of moisture anyway.
I always use the drain plug underneath after nearly every use.
The only thing I remember that I did wrong was very early after I had it I left the drain plug unscrewed (forgot about it) and it run and run and got very hot because it wasn’t filling the tank. I never realised, mind elsewhere as it always is.

Reactions: JR

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
If the pressure switch is working on a tanked compressor it can run on, it'll turn on and off rather than run constantly.
So I don't know where this "20minutes" has come from, and I would suggest that limit would make the compressor unfit for purpose.

As the pressure builds the pump works harder and will overheat, hence a pressure switch to regulate the pressure in the tank.

I'll have to check if there's a thermal cut out, I didn't think there was on these and it could be the pump just physically couldn't push more air into the tank causing it to stop. Or worse just seized due to component expansion. This wouldn't happen if the pressure switch was working.