Retarder for Vallejo

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi guys.

Can anyone recommend a retarder for Vallejo Model Air? I did some spraying this morning and tried to use their own brand retarder. Unfortunately it's in the form of a thick gel and when I used it, I got a huge dollop of it in the paint cup. As a consequence, the kit I sprayed is still wet - even though it was done over 12 hours ago.

I'm looking for a thin liquid type which will give me more control over the amount I use.

Gern

A

andygh

Liquitex Slo-Dri is the weapon of choice

Here's some Liquitex Slow-Dri Fluid Retarder, a retarder to extend drying time, 118ml

Last edited:
T

tecdes

Dave I have used many times the Vallejo retarder and no problems at all.

Sounds as though to much was mixed in. Not had that problem at all. Should be careful with other products as they may not react as expected with Vallejo Model Air.

Bit surprised as retarder is on average used in higher temperatures compared to the horrible minus things we have at the moment.

Any problems just email Vallejo Customer Service. They will advise. Possible you may have a bottle form a duff batch. Had a problem with a duff varnish they rpelaced with a large bottle & some smaples of other products.

Laurie

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Laurie.

Not blaming the product - just my ham-fisted thumbfingers! I have used it successfully in the past, I just find it difficult to judge the quantity and sometimes get too much or too little.

Gern

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Their thinners have some retarder in them and more thinning may be a more manageable option Gern.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
+1 for Liquitex.

A drop in the paint cup worked for Xtracrylix so it has to work for Vallejo.

Cheers

Steve

T

tecdes

Think some one recently Steve said that Xtracrylix made Vallejo gloopy so I would just experiment first with the Liquitex incase it has the same effect..

Dave now I understand. Barry's answer is a good one. Reading your reply early this morning I was going to suggest putting a spot of retarder in a small paint pallet & then using a brush introduce the amount wanted into the cup with a good stir.

Do you really need retarder Dave ? Only used it in hot weather which I can find very little of at the moment.

Laurie

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Lots of good help here. Thanks guys.

I've read several reviews of Model Air and lots of them comment about drying problems - some even recommend giving the A/B tip a quick clean every couple of minutes. The relatively small kit I sprayed yesterday has now dried OK so no major problems - but it took me well over 30 minutes to spray it all. I also spray in my kitchen which is warm. Both the time and temperature would contribute to drying.

Barry. I did read about their thinners having some retarder, but for what it costs to add just a drop to my paint cup, I thought 'better safe than sorry'. I got problems enough with my painting (missing corners and difficult spots, uneven coverage, fingermarks from handling before the paint is dry etc. etc!) without risking those that can be cheaply avoided. I also already thin to about 40:60 thinner:paint so not sure if the paint would stand much further thinning.

Laurie. I did think about putting some in another container then thought about having to clean both the container and brush afterwards and trying to get any leftovers back into the jar ..... I'm far too lazy to do all that!

Steve. You convinced me that enamels are better than acrylics and I'm getting used to them slowly, but I do have a big problem with the fumes. I wear a cheap mask but have no ventilation other than opening a window/door. Even after painting, the fumes in the air get straight into my throat and I sometimes have difficulty breathing. I'll be able to use them during the summer but when it's as cold as this I'm stuck. When money allows I'll have a look into getting a decent mask and some sort of extractor set up - in the meantime I'll go with acrylics (my cheap mask seems to work with them).

Gern

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Good on ya Dave. The main thing is to keep building,and enjoying those models.

Cheers

Steve

T

tecdes

\ said:
Lots of good help here. Thanks guys.Steve. You convinced me that enamels are better than acrylics and I'm getting used to them slowly, but I do have a big problem with the fumes. I wear a cheap mask but have no ventilation other than opening a window/door. Even after painting, the fumes in the air get straight into my throat and I sometimes have difficulty breathing. I'll be able to use them during the summer but when it's as cold as this I'm stuck. When money allows I'll have a look into getting a decent mask and some sort of extractor set up - in the meantime I'll go with acrylics (my cheap mask seems to work with them).

Gern
Yes I had trouble with the fumes. Not much you can do about the paint. But last time in the art shop they were stocking a near fumeless thinner which would be good for airbrush cleaning as i seemed to use lots of that when using enamels.

Laurie