Returning to Aircraft Scale Modeling

First Name
Art
Have been building models since I was 6 or 7 in the 70s. In my youth built mostly aircraft, my favorite subject. But have done tanks, cars, motorcycles, and Garage Kits. Hadn't built an aircraft since 1982! Just started again. It's been fun getting back into it. Alot has changed and somethings hasn't. When I last built aircraft, there was Monogram, Revell, Airfix, Tamiya, Hasegawa, and Academy. Now there are different brands, HobbyBoss, Trumpeter, Kinetic, etc... Trying to figure out which ones make the best kits. For me best means, quality (fit and finish), engineering (the way it goes together). Accuracy is important to a degree. For example looking at the 1/48 Trumpeter SU-34 Fullback vs. HobbyBoss where the nose varies on these two kits. For me as long as it's close!

Anyways, looking forward to re-learning and contributing

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Welcome to the madhouse Art, you'll find a crazy but fun bunch in here... (and if you ever need advice on 'torching' your current build, then look no further than our resident pyromaniac Mr Race, he'll certainly be sure to point you in the right direction...lol)

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Welcome back.
Probably the best producer of 1/48 kits is Tamiya though ICM are very good.

But my preference is for 1/32, that’s where the really exciting stuff is and I recommend that you take a peek. In that space there is Tamiya with some of the best WW2 warbirds ever produced as kits, Zoukei Mura, ICM, HKM are also great brands along with a brand new company Kotare. Be careful of HobbyBoss and Trumpeter as they do produce some good kits but an awful lot of crap too. Incidentally, those two are basically the same company. Revell are cheap but are ‘so so’ for accuracy and detail.

Try out some of the new aftermarket, in particular the 3D Decal detailing sets (Quinta being the leading brand). And don’t forget that these days we also have a lot of companies producing mask sets for transparencies to help paint them as well as mask sets for painting major markings giving a far superior result to decals. Yup, there have been a lot of changes over the years.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
If fit & engineering is a priority (as it is for me) then I agree with Barry that Tamiya has to be high on your list.

I've done several of their recent kits in 1/72 & 1/48, and they are top notch in those areas. Their P38 lightning was a gem, much of it held together without glue!

Oh, and welcome aboard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Welcome Art. Lots of good wingy builders on here so pipe up if you get stuck.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Welcome to the forum. Hope that you enjoy.
Some 1/48 Italeri are also very good and not to be sneered at. Some in fact so good that Tamiya re-box them...
The Newer Airfix models are also well worth a look. Some of their newest releases are above and beyond.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
A warm welcome from me as well, Art.

Cheers,
Richard aka Wabble

First Name
Art
Thank you so much for the warm welcome! Thanks for the suggestions for model brands. Really gives me a leg up on what to look for! Will start posting pics as thing progress!