Returning to model kits after 40+ years.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Steve, you've come to the right place. Me, I'm trying to grow facial hair to keep looking as old as these guys here who have loads of experience and weird sense of humour. No fear of mocking as it's safe to say that most of us are near half blind. Enjoy your stay and beware of Matrons rounds and the wannabe arsonist.

Cheers,
Richard aka Wabble

Sprue42

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ralph
Hello, I'm Steve and I'm an old guy (60 now), I used to build a lot of models in my teens, I was obsessed and built dozens of models from small ones to large ones.
but then I discovered pubs and women and somehow modelling vanished from my life.

Now I intend to fix that and return to the hobby, of course after a 40+ year gap, I'm pretty much a total newbie right now and back to square one, but add to that poor eyesight and the shaking hands of being old. Things are not in my favour but I don't care.

Why did I look for this site and create an account? Simple! I don't and won't use facebook and I wanted to find a place to talk about modelling, learn lots of hints and tips and maybe show images of my work for feedback or comments.

What I seek:- just help from time to time, maybe make some new friends and talk about the hobby

What I do not want:- Elitists mocking my work, yes it'll be poor but even so, no need for that.

I look forward to talking with you. :smiling3:

Hi Steve,

I have only been here myself a week or two. I was looking for a friendly place to talk to other like-minded modellers. I found it. The members here seem to be exactly what you (and me) are looking for. Like you, I am a returnee to the hobby after a similar period of time to you. Back in the day, the availability of kits and materials was limited. For me, I have spent the past few weeks trying the catch up with all the now products and techniques out there.

Welcome to the forum, from what I have encountered so far, you have probably found the place you are looking for. I look forward to discussing the hobby with you in future.

BTW, You are not old, I am older than you and I am still a kid! :smiling:

Ralph.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
What I do not want:- Elitists mocking my work, yes it'll be poor but even so, no need for that.

I look forward to talking with you. :smiling3:

You won't get anything like that here Steve. There's loads of folks here that have great knowledge and wonderful skills and not one of them will talk down to you. But you will have to get used to the lunacy that passes for banter though! :smiling:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Welcome Steve

Great site ONLY support and that includes outside of modelling as well!

I can vouch for that 100%

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Steve - no one will mock your work - we all started as newbies, and asking advice is the best way to avoid potholes that we have all fallen down, at one time and another. New materials, new techniques & new makers can be very confusing, so ask away, before you part with any cash!
What's your area of interest & scale? Whatever it is you'l find like minded members here!
Dave

My area of interest and scale?

Well when it comes to scale I honestly don't have a clue. Nothing too small but nothing too big.
My interest is quite spread about really. I'd love to build various military models, armour and aircraft but also maybe scifi, space stuff and maybe the occasional F1 car from the 70's or 80's.

I do have a strong love of aircraft and pilots of The Great War and I'd love to build something like an SE5a like my hero Edward 'Mick' Mannock flew, but theres no way I could do the tiny and fiddly wire rigging of an aircraft of that era.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
My area of interest and scale?

Well when it comes to scale I honestly don't have a clue. Nothing too small but nothing too big.
My interest is quite spread about really. I'd love to build various military models, armour and aircraft but also maybe scifi, space stuff and maybe the occasional F1 car from the 70's or 80's.

I do have a strong love of aircraft and pilots of The Great War and I'd love to build something like an SE5a like my hero Edward 'Mick' Mannock flew, but theres no way I could do the tiny and fiddly wire rigging of an aircraft of that era.
Steve,
I chop and change my genres, If I concentrated on one subect I'd get bored. I've had a go at most things - but never fantasy, and only one science fiction - I would just advise you to pick a subject that interests you, and find a model that isn't too complex for a first build - as far as how it turns out, it doesn't really matter!, as long as you enjoyed it & learned from it. Go ahead, try that 1/48 SE5A - you don't have to rig it ( or even paint it ), just enjoy it - it's your model!
Dave

Easyrider5258

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
When it comes to scale I’ve just returned to modelling and decided to focus on 1/48th I feel it gives a nice size to display and not super detailed like the bigger scales can be, 1/72 I felt was too small and fiddley, however if your building big aircraft like Lancaster/ B17 maybe 1/72 has a place

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
When it comes to scale I’ve just returned to modelling and decided to focus on 1/48th I feel it gives a nice size to display and not super detailed like the bigger scales can be, 1/72 I felt was too small and fiddley, however if your building big aircraft like Lancaster/ B17 maybe 1/72 has a place
Hahahaha, don't be fooled by the larger scales having larger parts!!! They just have more smaller ones!!!!! :smiling2: But not so small sausage fingers here can't handle. Just takes longer and it's more fun!!!