Revell 1/32 BAe Hawk T.1A Red Arrows

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I placed an order with a supplier the other day and on the order was a box of Humbrol Arrow Red gloss tinlets, they read the order wrong and send me a arrow red rattle can, I don't sell these are it's not something that postie likes to deliver, anyway they told me to keep it if I could make use of it.

I thought what kit uses arrow red :smiling3: so I bought the Revell 1/32 Hawk and photo etch parts for it (they cost almost twice as much as the kit :sad: )

View attachment 78305

View attachment 78306

I thought it was about time I built something :smiling3:

As it's red am I right in thinking that a white primer would be a better base? I've got a can of Army Painter white primer, hopefully I won't have any issues using both paints?

pe.jpg

hawk.jpg

R

Richy C

Word of caution John , red plastic can be a nightmare , even with a couple of coats of primer the plastic can sometimes bleed through and make white decals look pinkish even reacts to white paint , guess how i know ? , I now always use a zero paint sealer on top of the primer then prime it again before top coating when using red plastic and white decals ,

it only happens with red , I don`t have a clue why , any other colours of plastic seem fine with white decals and paint .

Cheers

Richy

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Will be nice to this one done i have done this one not to long a go so i will be nice to see how it differs with the etch parts.

Peter t

P

Polux

Nice subject John.

I'm glad to see you building this one ;)

Good luck, go for it!

Polux

First Name
Mike
That should look impressive – big and bright red. I've had the same issues with red plastic as Richy mentioned.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice choice John , if the new tail decals are out yet they would look great too , cheers tony

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
\ said:
OOOH I will watch the boss at work Nice subject John
I wouldn't get too excited I wouldn't say I'm an expert :smiling3:

I do like that tail, if the decals aren't available it might be a bit beyond me to mask

First Name
Gregg
\ said:
I wouldn't get too excited I wouldn't say I'm an expert :smiling3: I do like that tail, if the decals aren't available it might be a bit beyond me to mask
I think you do yourself a disservice John, having seen some of your previous work, I think it is well within your capabilities:smiling3: :smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice choice John. Of course you couldn't send that paint back, and the Hawk is a nice topic. Look forward to seeing this one, hope you post progress shots.

A

Andy Mac

Prime it first John, then undercoat in yellow, then do the red. The yellow undercoat really makes the red "pop" out.

I'd love to have some decals with the new 50th anniversary tail, but they haven't even finished painting all the Hawk tails yet, :eek: I don't know how long it would take to produce a set of decals.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Prime it first John, then undercoat in yellow, then do the red. The yellow undercoat really makes the red "pop" out.I'd love to have some decals with the new 50th anniversary tail, but they haven't even finished painting all the Hawk tails yet, :eek: I don't know how long it would take to produce a set of decals.
I am pretty sure that a couple of good photos and it would take about an hour..... Calling the Migrant, Hello, MIKE, HELLO! Up for the challenge? lol

Ian M

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi John

I was commissioned to build one of these kits a while ago and thought it was a decent kit. I was under some considerable time restraints and thankfully it went together relatively smoothly. I have to say I didn't find the red plastic a problem so long as you prime it first (I always prime before paint anyway), the only real issue was the white decals which are a bit translucent. I actually ended up masking and airbrushing the 'arrow'.

It does build up to be an impressive looking model. I didn't have the photo etch available at the time so this will stunning when finished.

I think you'll enjoy this build.

All the best

P