Revell 1/72 Spitfire Mk v

• Thread starter Deleted member 3568
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all I am going to start my Spitfire tonight it will be only my second plane any tips before I start are there any problems with the kit I should know about. Also alongside this one I will be building a model I was given an Airfix Boeing 737 I won't be painting it in the Luffhansa livery though as my daughter is cabin crew manager on Easy Jet I will be attempting their livery.

First Name
Mike
The biggest issue with the Revell kit is that it lacks the gull-wing effect that characterizes the Spit, but if you can live with that it should be a straightforward build.

I've seen an aftermarket sheet for Easy Jet decals but it was for the Minicraft 737-300 kit rather than the earlier Airfix version, but you may be able to use some of the markings.

D

Deleted member 3568

Thanks for the info I didn't even know the spitfire had gull wings

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Thanks for the info I didn't even know the spitfire had gull wings
It's a very subtle bit of geometry, not an obvious 'gull wing' and others have failed to get it right too. The entire Spitfire wing and wing root fairing (carried onto the underside of the fuselage)are a very complicated shape indeed. It was designed by one of the world's great aerodynamicists, Beverly Shenstone. The wing has an inbuilt twist (wash out) from root to tip which is difficult to capture on a model.

Cheers

Steve

D

Deleted member 3568

Now I am very frustrated the spit is part of a three plane kit the British legends gift set which i stupidly thought would contain all the paints required (planes being new to me) but no the kit comes with 6 colours the Spit needs greenish grey matt, medium grey matt and yellow matt none of which are in the kit colours (I have got yellow matt) so that one is ok but the lancaster needs 13 colours and the Hawker Hurricane needs 13 I am very disappointed that Revell have sold a kit as if as if you have everything you need to complete it when in fact you haven't i don't understand the logic i would rather pay a couple more quid and have all the colours i need.

If I knew enough about the planes i could probably mix the colours I need from what i have already got but i don't so guess i will have to buy the colours

I need. I bought the kit knowing I knew nothing about planes and thought it a good way to start, what with it coming with all the colours i need. (I have scanned the box and can see no where that it says you need to buy more paints to complete the models as illustrated.

Oh well iv'e had my moan there's nothing I can do about it, it's just so frustrating, so now I will just have to get on with the 737.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Yeah, unfortunately that is the way with the 'starter kit' format. They provide paint to complete the main exterior paint work to a very basic standard. Airfix do it too.

D

Deleted member 3568

Yes it's a shame if it's a matter of cost I would have preferred to pay a bit more and avoid the confusion of trying to find the colours been on Hannants tonight and they hardly do any Revell paints so I have to try and find conversions to humbrol its a real pain put me off any more Revell starter kits.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Maybe I can help to make life easier for the paint conversions and save you a few hours of scouring conversion charts. Make a quick visit to Airfix's site, they list the Humbrol colours for their kits and they have a MkV Spitfire. https://www.airfix.com/shop/aircraft/a02046a-supermarine-spitfire-mkvb-172/