Revell / Matchbox 1:32 De Havilland Sea Venom

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Completed at last. My thoughts on the model ? It's a decent build for the £25.00 it cost me to buy. However, today's prices can be around £60 to £70, which no, it's not worth that sort of money. However, if you really want a 1:32 Sea Venom, I think this is the only one in this scale.
The fit was ok given its age. Detail was very lacking. Again, that's an age thing.

So what is it, well, the Sea Venom was the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm's first all-weather jet fighter which first flew in 1951 and retired 1970.
They were also operated by French and Australian Navy's.
Developed from the Venom NF2, some modifications were made, obviously, a hook to stop the aircraft on deck, folding wings and the canopy was modified to allow under water ejection.

Sea Venom's actually saw active service. Operation Musketeer, the Anglo-French attack on the Suez Canal and other conflicts in the middle East.

Vital statistics;
Top Speed 575 ish MPH at sea level.
Range 613 nmiles
Service ceiling 39500 ft
Rate of climb, 5750ft/min

Armament consisted of;
4x 20mm cannon
8 x 60lb RP3 rockets (as used in WW2)
2 x 1000lb bombs.

Only 39 FAW22's were built.
This model is the De Havilland Sea Venom FAW.22, XG693 of 894 NAS, FAA, HMS Albion, 1960.
Delivered on 8th January 1957, retired to Tain ranges, Scotland 15th November 1968 and so ended its life as target practice.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

Any questions or comments, fire away.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Colin,

Despite its age it's turned out very nicely indeed. Very well done.

Andrew

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
From a normal viewing point that is actually rather nice but as you said Colin, once you start to look into all the nooks and crannies, it shows its age.
Great build and Finish.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Totally agree,that does look very nice indeed Colin :smiling3: ..... and it's got Shark's teeth!! ;)
Nice bit of back story too.... it does make me wonder though.....
When you take the money spent on all off the people involved in designing and actually building the things,then factor in the cost of making the components...add to that,costings to making the tools that make those components......
.... all to make just 39 of em!!....
Just HOW MUCH did it finally work out that each one cost?!! ;)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Totally agree,that does look very nice indeed Colin :smiling3: ..... and it's got Shark's teeth!! ;)
Nice bit of back story too.... it does make me wonder though.....
When you take the money spent on all off the people involved in designing and actually building the things,then factor in the cost of making the components...add to that,costings to making the tools that make those components......
More than I earn in a year.....or decade for that matter!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Colin do planes normally have that length of life in the service from 1951 to 197O ! I know the Dakota does , but surely that's an exception.

The Committee would like to award you
2020DB.jpg
Nice build , congratulations.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Colin do planes normally have that length of life in the service from 1951 to 197O ! I know the Dakota does , but surely that's an exception.

The Committee would like to award you
View attachment 474522
Nice build , congratulations.
Yes John, the Sea Venom wasn’t particularly well known, maybe that’s why we’re a bit surprised at its length of service. However, the Sea Venom was still an active aircraft in 1970, but was a second line aircraft at this time.
And the award, I’m humbled.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Sad ending though
A very sad ending, which makes me wonder why the kit manufacturer chose this aircraft. Surly at least one Sea Venom did something interesting in its life. That would have been a better subject.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
He said they built 39 of the FAW.22 variant, not 39 Sea Venoms in all :smiling3: According to Wikipedia, the total production was 3× NF.20, 50× FAW.20, 167× FAW.21, 39× FAW.22, 39× FAW.53 = 298, plus another 101 under licence in France. And the type served for about 20 years, that’s quite good value for money if you compare it to some other 1950s jets :smiling3:

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
A great build Colin nice to see something different and at 1/32 scale.