Revell Mini Cooper 998c.c

G

GeeBee

Finished this one a few weeks ago, it was built out of the box, apart from doing the flooring with powder blue flocking, the wheels were stripped of there chrome and redone using Alclad, the trim around the wheel arches and windows were done using chrome BMF, the paintwork was airbrushed in a genuine BMC shade of Fiesta Yellow, one of the unpopular colours of the Cooper and was detaled in 1965.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one Geoff. A very tidy little mini. I do like the original minis a lot more than the over priced BMW thing...

Nice five star mini

Ian M

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Lovely mini fantastic chrome and trim do you have a beetle by chance I would love to see one done to your high standards thanks John

G

GeeBee

Just found more photo's of the build, they were on my other photobucket account, here's one of the interior, the carpet was replicated using powder blue velour flocking

G

GeeBee

\ said:
Lovely mini fantastic chrome and trim do you have a beetle by chance I would love to see one done to your high standards thanks John
I built one a few years ago now, not quite upto the standard of what I'm building today, just found a couple of photo's of it, it's the '66 1300 from Tamiya

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Wow, they are both fantastic Geoff. Your Mini looks like the real deal in a show room.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Thanks for sharing the vw beetle it's a beauty

First Name
Andy
Hi Geoff,

Your models are simply stunning and look like they have come straight off the factory assembly line, may I ask what sort of flock you use please and where do you get it please...

I have tried doing carpets but they never seem to come out clean like yours, they tend to be a bit clumpy, I use a strainer and PVA glue to stick it down...

A huge ***** from me...

G

GeeBee

\ said:
Hi Geoff,Your models are simply stunning and look like they have come straight off the factory assembly line, may I ask what sort of flock you use please and where do you get it please...

I have tried doing carpets but they never seem to come out clean like yours, they tend to be a bit clumpy, I use a strainer and PVA glue to stick it down
The one I used for the Cooper was made by Detail Master, and was much finer than I have been using, but it went on o.k, I don't use a strainer, but pop the flocking in a plastic cocktail stick holder, and use Solvite wallpaper and border repair adhesive, it's PVA based, but it doesn't pull away from the edges like PVA does, once the glue is one, put the flocking on and push it down with a finger or a small wooden stick if your putting it in hard to reach places or corners, I usually do a couple of coats, once it's dried out, get a make up brush and brush the flocking in one direction, this picks up the pile, then get out the hairdryer and give it a blow over on a low heat.

I tend to buy my flocking off eBay, but on my latest build I needed some 'buff' coloured flocking and no one in the U.K had any in stock, so I've had to order some from down under, BNA Model World in Australia - Your Online Scale Model Centre hopefully it will come next week so I can get on with my current build.

Here's another one I'm working on, it's a Tamiya Morgan 4/4

T

typerjim

very nice indeed. A standard I shall aspire to for a long time.

C

Caledonia

Stunning work on both models Geoff. 5 Star from me too. Cheers Derek

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Both great models superb builds I really like the mini ............... I never owned a mini, or quite frankly really never wanted to. My missus has a new BMW mini cooper S and that's awful. I had a Beetle once, that I bought as a non runner to restore. I gave up in the end and scrapped it.

Peter

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Both great models superb builds I really like the mini ............... I never owned a mini, or quite frankly really never wanted to. My missus has a new BMW mini cooper S and that's awful. I had a Beetle once, that I bought as a non runner to restore. I gave up in the end and scrapped it.Peter
I owned a Mini, in 1964. It was the worst car I can imagine. Really nice to drive, but: The gearbox!!%$£&. There were gears in there, but where? The pull chords inside to open the doors broke more than once, so many people simply slid open the window and used the outside handle. But in winter weather, the sliding windows froze. It was common to see people arriving at the works car park tapping on the window and a passerby would immediately know to open the door for the trapped occupants. I decided to sell it in 1968 and during the three months before offering it, I knew that three things would go wrong, one per month being the going rate. And sure enough, in the first month the windscreen wipers, then in the second the brakes (which failed completely and suddenly on a downslope leading to a main road, then in the third the clutch started slipping. In wet weather a newspaper had to be fixed over the radiator grille, otherwise the distributor got wet, and once when we stopped for petrol, the garage owner, noting the rain, said that Minis were already limping in. And all that is only the half of it. New cars at the time that we sold ours were still showing those and other faults. A fiasco!

First Name
Gregg
Ha Ha happy days in those days!

I had a 1965 mini countryman as seen in my photo album, but modified it considerbly to suit myself.

Although I did suffer the same problems you mentioned, until I fitted a 1100cc with webber carbs & dissy shield and remote gearchange, instead of the poker stick that wandered about in the gearbox!

Gregg