Revell N.S. Savannah 1:380

First Name
Tony
View attachment 58657View attachment 58656View attachment 58658View attachment 58659View attachment 58660

Here is my offering of Revell's nuclear cargo/passenger ship the Savannah. The build was going very well in the early stages and the large parts were relatively flash free and fitted well. Later on in the build the smaller parts i.e. cranes, deck fittings etc, took a lot of filling and cleaning, considering this was a re-release of an old kit this was only to be expected. The last photograph shows the reactor, which fits into the housing on the left, I substituted the reactors cover for a plastic dome.

The full sized vessel is still in existence in the USA and there's lots of information on the internet.

Tony

View attachment 60518

View attachment 60519

View attachment 60520

View attachment 60521

View attachment 60522

NS Savannah 16.jpg

NS Savannah 17.jpg

NS Savannah 12.jpg

NS Savannah 5.jpg

NS Savannah 1.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Tony. What is that orange/red/blue item near the bridge?

T

treyzx10r

Very clean build Tony and nice touch with the clear dome!

First Name
Tony
Hi, Thanks for the positive feedback. The model is approx 18" (460mm) long. The orange/red/blue item near the bridge is the reactor in place, the section of deck is removable to show this.

Tony.

B

Bunkerbarge

I actually had a walk around this ship when it was alongside in Charleston Va in the early eighties. Unfortunately all the main propulsion machinery had been removed but it was still an interesting vessel. My biggest regret was that this was in my early days when I had no money and didn't even own a camera so I didn't get any pictures of it.

I've seen this kit converted to RC as well and it handles surprisingly well on water.

Lovely job you've made of this one and again great to see members still building the old basic kits and making something a bit special of them. I'm sure there is more satisfaction in doing this than putting together the latest perfect offering from Tamiya of the "Shake-the-box-and-it-comes-out-built" standard!

First Name
Tony
Hi Bunkerbarge, when you say about these old basic kits, they can still be picked up at very reasonable cost on ebay (or elsewhere) as against the cost of many of the new kits. This one cost me £3.00, didn't have any instructions, but these are easily found on the internet.

From what I read about the full sized ship the reactor etc was removed in the early 70's. I'm not sure but my understanding is that she will be fully decommisioned and handed over to a preservation group in 2031. Can anyone clarify this?

Tony.