revell's 1/700 rms oylmpic

C

cryton 5

:pirate:hii ship mate ,nice bit off work so far ,being a olympic class lover will look forward ,too seeing on going progress i complete a two model kit back in 2010 . regards cry !!

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
RMS oylmpic update

progress has been slow but i have caught up all funnels are on and the rigged plans only showed three on either side of the funnels but i have put the correct 6 on each side also all vents are on as is the compass platform and the docking bridge just cranes mast and rigging to go.

cheers peter.

View attachment 65077

View attachment 65078

View attachment 65079

2013-06-02 15.17.45.jpg

2013-06-02 15.18.00.jpg

2013-06-02 15.18.08.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Peter. It looks great next to the Titanic.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Super Job Peter. Absolutely great build. 5***** from me.

I only ever tried a ship once.......... Years ago "Cutty Sark". I never finished, But I still have the scar on my left index finger where I sliced it open with a scalpel while I was doing some rigging. Two stitches and I bled all over it.

Peter

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I like it a lot now all you need is the britannic for the trio i have done a 1/250 scale one and i have an oylmpic under way in scratch build if you feel inspiered.

Cheers peter t

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I like it Peter, the only question I have is the superstructure-is it the kit plastic white or have you sprayed it? Either way it looks great and doesn't look rushed to me.

Si:smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
It is white and i did spray itpeter t
I figured you would have, but it just looks so clean and hardly any shine, even if it is matt you can tell. Looks superb to my eyes.

W

Willi262

I always did like the "Olympic" class of ocean liner. Timeless design, easy on the eyes, just like the Me-262 (IMHO)...

W

Willi262

I absolutely *hate* most modern cruise ship designs, those ungainly, overblown monstrosities. Titanic looks like a yacht, just quietly slipping through the water...

Or like a lady who knows she looks good, but doesn't feel the need to make a big deal about it.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
I absolutely *hate* most modern cruise ship designs, those ungainly, overblown monstrosities. Titanic looks like a yacht, just quietly slipping through the water...
Yep, to be practical in today's market cruise ships have to be bigger and offer more facilities at a cheaper price, to do this the new super-liners are actually mostly air. There superstructures are ali and composite materials with large open areas. One thing that is a surprise to many that although claims were made, Titanic and her sister ships where not all that luxurious to other top liners of the day. Yes they had better second class and steerage class but this was due to being new as well, she had a swimming pool which was novel at the time, but the Olympic class of ship was only marginalia more luxurious. The ticket prices of the day were about standard with other different company ships, especially in-line with German liners.

But I agree, I think most liners of the day showed beautiful lines compared to the monstrous lumps that cross the oceans now.

W

Willi262

Well, its no wonder they look more like floating hotels than transatlantic ocean liners. I was a travel agent a few years back and I had come across some literature from Cunard which said (in part), "For a ship like the QE2, that is, the size of, and with those operating costs, it would have to be sailing all the time with 66-70% capacity, just to break even. That says nothing about profit. It was air travel that killed it. ;)