Rick's Airfix 1/72 English Electric Lightning F6

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Dam it, annoying. But ok, a positive spin, means you can spray again, giving a bit of variance to the final coat of paint.
I've already feathered back the loose paint ready for a respray. Its very subtle but the ailerons have been sprayed a different colour (duralumin) to the overall aluminium shade. I agree that respraying will add a bit of variance to the finish, I was hoping to do it today but the weather was fine and the garden needed attention.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Very nice repair Rick. But with it being in a hanger diorama you could have just put a tarp over it and it wouldn't have looked out of place.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
After touching up the damaged paint I had another go at painting some panels a different shade of aluminium with better results. The fin and anti-glare panel have been done so you can probably figure out which squadron this kite will be from.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The engine has also had some detail picked out.

image.jpeg

In the picture that inspired this build you can see a sheet of polythene over the intake blank with the nose cone removed, I'm trying to replicate this with some screwed up clear sheet fixed with Glue n Glaze, it should dry clear but I think a bit of plasticard behind will be needed otherwise the liquid gravity weight will be visible....when I've added it!

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
The first session of decal application for this beast tonight, after two hours I have only applied the roundels (bar one), serial and squadron markings. Rather frustratingly one of the decals covers a panel that I painted in a contrasting shade. My experience of building one of these before has me applying the "no step" black lines before the upper wing roundel as it needs to overlap the lines.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
The 74 Sqn markings have to rank amongst my favourites that adorned Cold War jets like this, they were all so colourful.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Almost done with this now. Just some touch up and light weathering left and a disc of black paper to go behind the intake blank to hide the weight, the radome will be left off as will the canopy and ejection seat.

I've been playing around with it in my hangar display to see how it looks.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That's looking great Rick, you may have this already in hand but a couple of drip trays wouldn't go amiss the Lightning did leak a lot of oil all the time and some muck/oil on the hanger floor.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That's looking great Rick, you may have this already in hand but a couple of drip trays wouldn't go amiss the Lightning did leak a lot of oil all the time and some muck/oil on the hanger floor.

All in hand. I made one from a foil takeaway carton but I have mislaid it. I mentioned it in a different thread, here's a picture of it.

View attachment 257939