Rivet spacing tool

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If you’ve ever had to add rivets to a model, you’re probably aware how hard it can be to get the spacing right, especially if it’s a distance you can’t easily measure with a common ruler. Some time ago, I came up with a simple enough solution, that I now put some more time and effort into so that I can share it with the rest of you, in the hope you’ll find it useful too :smiling3:

That is to say, rulers with spaces between the marks of 1.00, 1.05, 1.10, 1.15, etc. millimetres:

Rivet spacing rulers.png

And because I was making these anyway, also an aid for evenly spacing out rivets and other things around the circumference of round objects:

Rivet spacing roses.png

You can download the PDF here — print it out at 100% (don’t reduce or enlarge to fit your paper size!) and read the instructions on the first page :smiling3:

Edit, about an hour later: Version 1.0.1, some typos fixed.

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Many thanks Jakko
You are certainly right that spacing rivets evenly is very awkward. Get one slightly out and it is painfully noticeable.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Great, I hope they prove useful :smiling3:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
The Committee were impressed with this, and decided even though it isn't a model it deserves
2020DB.jpg
Very kind of you to put the effort into this and publishing for all to use.
Congratulations.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thank you very much, though they’re so simple to make that it really doesn’t deserve a prize :smiling3: Most of the work consisted of doing it again because of improvements I thought of, which was easier to make almost from scratch rather than adapt the ones I had made before …

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I have a selection of old clock gears, made up a suitable handle to take the spindle, all ready to start adding rivets to wings etc - then went into armour modelling, ah well!!!