robbe U47 Static Dive Build

M

magpie

Hi guys.

I've done this on other forums, but you might like a look at my efforts here too. If not, let me know. I won't mind-really!!

I bought a robbe U47 kit and a few extra bits like a 750 engel tank -engel magnet switch-subtech leveler-modelbrass deck etc and I'm getting stuck into wacking it all together in a form that will hopefully float (and sink) one day. I'm new to subs as this is my first one. I've done lots of targets before but not subs. I find them addictive and since I started, I've fallen for them in a big way.:respect1:

I'll attach some pics of my progress up till now which is at the stage where the WTC is all done and the rear hull is glued on with the prop shafts in. I've modified the WTC seal arrangement too, by doing away with the front tube bolt and putting threaded rods at the top and bottom of the WTC and an alloy bracket that clamps the rear cover shut. I also used a preserving jar silicone seal instead of the O ring as it wouldn't seal well for me. The jar seal works well on testing in the bath and filling the ballast tank to beef up the pressure. I also mounted a servo under the sail with the wires fed through the rear cap via brass rods and soldered on in and outside and then sealed all over. It looks like it'll work alright. (Fore hydrovane servo). The brass deck plates are being attached with shock cord and will have indexing points made from bits of brass plate through ABS strips . I'v done the rear one and it looks OK. It should make opening them easy I think. I also added a (not scale) hatch to access the lower nut on the bracket as I want it to be easy and fun to use. There's a pic of my sub box on the car too. These subs are very long and I need room in the car for mum's electric wheelchair. I'm her carer as she's had a stroke and isn't mobile without it. She loves model boats too!

I hope I haven't posted too many pics.

I'll post more as I go.

Jason

View attachment 13488

View attachment 13489

View attachment 13490

View attachment 13491

View attachment 13492

View attachment 13493

View attachment 13494

View attachment 13495

View attachment 13496

View attachment 13497

View attachment 13498

View attachment 13499

View attachment 13500

View attachment 13501

View attachment 13502

View attachment 13503

View attachment 13504

View attachment 13505

View attachment 13506

View attachment 13507

View attachment 13508

View attachment 13509

View attachment 13510

View attachment 13511

View attachment 13512

View attachment 13513

View attachment 13514

View attachment 13515

View attachment 13516

View attachment 13517

View attachment 13518

Subkitarrives3.jpg

Tankfit1.jpg

Tankfit2.jpg

Tankfit3.jpg

Tankfit4.jpg

Tankfit6.jpg

Tankfit10.jpg

Tankfit11.jpg

Tankfit12.jpg

Tankfit8.jpg

Uboat12jan1.jpg

Uboat12jan2.jpg

Uboat12jan3.jpg

Uboat12jan4.jpg

Uboatbrassdeck2.jpg

Uboatendcap2.jpg

Uboatendcapnearlydone.jpg

UboatFramewiring21jan.jpg

Uboat_WTC1.jpg

Uboat_WTC3.jpg

UboatWTC2MagnetSwitch.jpg

Uboatnewhatch1.jpg

Uboatnewhatch2.jpg

Uboatnewhatch3.jpg

Uboatnewhatch4.jpg

Uboat14feb.jpg

Uboat14feb_2.jpg

Uboat14Febprops.jpg

Uboatforevaneservo1.jpg

UboatSettingupBatteries2.jpg

UboatSubboxOnCar.jpg

M

Mankster

Hi Jason, glad to see your on this forum as well. Here are some tips for your U47 - Pushrod bellows should be fine as they are (Engel do them that way), but are more leak free if you mount them on the inside on the bulkhead rather than out in a Positive pressure WTC (increase pressure will just collaspse the bellow rather than blowing through it). Rather than using oil tubes to waterproof your prop shafts, fit a Simmerring sealing ring to the end of the tubes in the WTC (or a Subtech type seal).

Last edited:
B

Bunkerbarge

Magpie,

Very interesting thread as I will be doing exactly the same project when I finish my steamer. (That'll be a couple of years yet though!)

I was looking at one only on Sunday from our boat club with exactly the same conversion but the biggest change was the fitting of the Accurate Armour Tower kit. That looks superb and is something you should be seriously thinking about.

Thanks for the pictures, I'll put a couple of external shots of the one I was looking at in the gallery so that you can see what a differrence the tower kit makes.

M

magpie

Thanks for that Mankster

Hi Jason, glad to see your on this forum as well. Here are some tips for your U47 -Thanks for that. I'll look into what I can do.

Jason

M

magpie

Magpie,Very interesting thread as I will be doing exactly the same project when I finish my steamer-

Thanks Matey!! (I like Popeye)

I'll have a look at that. I've spent a fair bit $1,700 AU so far on it so I do need to be a bit frugal.

Regards

Jason

M

magpie

Great looking Sub!!

Magpie,Very interesting thread as I will be doing exactly the same project when I finish my steamer-

I had a look.

That's a very nice U-boat!!!

I might lash out on one of those towers later on. The other detail work on it is terrific too. Very scale looking. The builder is good!

Jason:bravo:

M

magpie

All together now~

Hi guys & Gals

The bow went on permanently today with 3 hr epoxy. The bow planes are connected and all is working. I made a decision to lash out on a depth controller too, as I've spent so much on her, what's a bit more aye?

I want her to be a fun boat to handle and I'm told the subtech adc-1 is a good one so I'm getting it. She's now ready for the decks and tower etc.

Jason

View attachment 13562

View attachment 13563

Uboatbowfitted_3.jpg

Uboatbowfitted_2.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

Magpie,

You won't do much better than the Subtech stuff and it will make your sailing experience so much more enjoyable and considerably less stressfull!!

M

Mankster

Aye, I second that about the Subtech gear. Depending on when Piston tank and controller you got, Engel also do a depth controller that works when the boat is stationary (pumps water in and out to achieve the depth you set). This can be used in conjuction with the Subtech depth controller that works when the boat is moving. Once again, nice work!

M

magpie

Slight setback

My bow-hull joint developed a crack when I was sanding the glue and I re-did it and reinforced the top and bottom to make her strong. I used a ss rod bent into an s and sank it into the bottom joint with a groove dremmeled in. I then glassed it too. The top I did with strips of abs and lots of epoxy and an abs patch on top and more epoxy. I think it'll be strong now.

View attachment 13565

View attachment 13566

View attachment 13567

Uboatwowreinforce3.jpg

Uboatwowreinforce1.jpg

Uboatwowreinforce2.jpg

S

subman

Hi Jason

I replaced the "Y" shaped plastic rudder support with a brass copy of same,as I smacked the bottom of our shallowish pond and the plastic just provided no real strength.

I lost a rudder and had to make a copy of the original one,otherwise it goes ok.

Subman

M

magpie

Hi JasonI replaced the "Y" shaped plastic rudder support with a brass copy of same,as I smacked the bottom of our shallowish pond and the plastic just provided no real strength.

I lost a rudder and had to make a copy of the original one,otherwise it goes ok.

Subman
Hi subman and welcome from me too!

I also replaced the weak little y bracket with brass from other forum users advice who had the same troubles. They are a flimsy little pice of work aye?!!

I like the overll design of the robbee u47, but they leave a lot of room for improvement. Keeps us thinking I guess! Maybe that was the plan. Who knows?

Enjoy

Jason

M

magpie

More detail work today

I put some more bits on today, including the hatches. The aft one has hinges now so I can get to the G spot with my engel magnet to turn the receiver on etc. I also did the brass plates on the sides of the tower and the ladders. My suntech depth control showed up too, so I have some more wiring to do there.

I'm having lots of fun with this build/assembly.

Jason

View attachment 13581

View attachment 13582

View attachment 13583

View attachment 13584

View attachment 13585

View attachment 13586

View attachment 13587

Uboat28feb06.jpg

Uboat28feb06_1.jpg

Uboat28feb06_2.jpg

Uboat28feb06_3.jpg

Uboat28feb06_4.jpg

Uboat28feb06_5.jpg

Uboat28feb06_6.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

The brass work looks fantastic as does your soldered handrail. This is going to look superb when it gets painted.

Where did you get the turned scopes from?

M

magpie

More work

Hi guys

I did some work on the foredeck . I put an elastic fastener under the net cutter and an indexing rod to keep the front in place. I also put the saddle tank inspection plates on and flexi mounted the periscopes with thin cord type elastic going through eyes on the bottom of tubes. (see pic).

The scopes bend over if hit and when putting her in my roof top sub box on the car. It just clears to tower.

Jason

View attachment 13588

View attachment 13589

View attachment 13590

View attachment 13591

Uboattowerscopefasten.jpg

Uboattowerscopefasten2.jpg

Uboatforedeckattach.jpg

Uboatsaddletankinspecthatches.jpg