robbe U47 Static Dive Build

T

tigertc

i have to get me a Sub...they look the dogs nads. Unfortunately there is nowhere near me to sale them. I could use the boss's swimming pool, but that would only confirm to him that i am quite mad in the head.

Top work Magpie, them subs is ACE!

M

magpie

Thanks tigertc!

Your boss would more likely want one too, once he had a go at yours. Most people knock them until they try them.

Jason

Last edited:
B

BigJBB

Sailing venues

Hello all, I know it won't be much use to you Magpie but there is help at hand for Tigertc and the other landlubbers over here. The link site for all accessible public waters for sailing in safety (and where a crowd will gather) is to be found at www.modelboatlakes.co.nr. Obviously if you have not submitted your local ponds, please do as it can only help the travelling modeller. Also worth mentioning if the waters are known to be sub-friendly as in no snags or mud sucking sub enveloping depths.

cheers

Jim

N

Nigel.D

Hi terry i bought a robbe u47 to make up as a static model i need to purchase a few other bits so i can do a good job on it as the kit supplied is woefully inadequate and the details (if you can call them that are awfull). This is my next longterm project i am going to do it next to a wharf or a mothership

B

Bunkerbarge

That was actually the main reason for me buying the Revell U-Boat kit in the first place. It is considerably more detailed than the Robbe kit so I will be using it to transfer detail to the bigger model when the time comes.

Also have a look at the Andrea Miniatures U-Boat kit in resin. 1/35th scale and absolutely stunning when done. There is a diorama using it in this months Model Boats Magazine, you have to get a copy just to be amazed!!

N

Nigel.D

Richard ive seen this but its 1/32 scale (dont ask me why when 1/35 would of been better) the sub was originally just a conning tower diorama but proved so popular that the rest was added !! the sub looks awsome but the railing and hand holds are well outof scale Shame for the price I will be attempting my own pe stuff for mine hopefully it will turn out ok

B

Bunkerbarge

I was surprised that the hand rails are white metal and as you say a bit over scale. At 1300.00 quid I would expect perfection I must admit.

If you get a chance look at the diorama though.

M

magpie

Just an update on the U-47

She’still going great after all these months and the range is over an hour with the standard donks and the dual range set on 50% for most of the running.

I’m fitting a pinger when it arrives at my door from England. They send out a pulse that you listen for with a kit built hydrophone. I’ll post a thread on that work once I get it started.

I can use it on other subs too. My Blueback sub build will be starting soon too, as I finished the magpie yacht that I was doing. That’ll be yet another thread if anyone’s interested.

I had the u-boat out at a new (to me) lake yesterday and fouled her on fishing line under a pier. Luckily I was able to get the bow to the surface with the ballast system and pull her out to unwind miles of nylon from the props!

If it’d been deep water, I’d have had a cold swim in store. I forgot to take a pic of the line entangled props but here’s one of her on the pier.

Jason

That’s my mother in the wheelchair next to the sub. Kids were riding bikes along this tiny pier and the sub was at risk so mum was protecting it while I went to my toolbox for a knife etc.

Jason

B

Bunkerbarge

Lovely looking spot for a sail. Other interested parties can always be a bit of a challenge. Where I go it is a public park so we have dogs and kids sniffing around the models on the wall. It never seems to occur to owners to get thier dogs away from our models!!

Say Hi to your Mum, nice to see her having an interest in your activities. Who'se the lady looking after her?

B

Bunkerbarge

It's great to see them both sharing your sailing experience with you.

M

magpie

My new U-boat skipper rocks!

The U-boat's still pounding away after 6 trouble free (mostly) months! I found my bow planes stopped working a while back and it turned out to be a broken wire and not the wet servo. The submerged servo is still going strong. Why bother with all the stress of enclosing them aye?!

Here's a pic from last Friday's (we do it Fridays now) Scope boating day. Barb absolutely loved driving the U-boat with her one and only motor skill; her head!

She also challenged mum and the other wheelie guys to a "wheelie Race"!

She won of course.

Jason

Barb at the helm

Barb out in front

Someone else got a go while Barb was racing!

B

Bunkerbarge

It's nice to see a day out with your sub involving the rest of the family.

Great shots Maggs, thanks for posting.

N

nigelr32

Thanks Magpie for this really informative thread. I have just ordered a U47 as my first R/C sub project.

I would love to know of all the aftermarket goodies available for this model, as I am aware that the Robbe kit is basic to say the least!!

When I look up accurate Armour on the net, I just get the resin scale model company, with no sight of any U-boat stuff??

Thanks agian for what will be my "guide" to building the sub.

Regards

Nige

S

subzero

Hello Magpie, glad to see your back at it ...You may have been looking at my u- boat modified to represent U-69 a type V11c instead of the U-47. The accurate armour tower is the doggies...but is resin so you have to get inside it and lighten it somewhat, Mankster is correct about the belows on the inside, i modified mine to have the bellows on both inside and outside (belt and braces I know but) What size tank are you using ? if i may offer some advice ( if you havn't already done so ) is to strengthen the tray up a bit , I put some 4mm steel sq rod into the upper section of the " H " sectional strengthener at the bottom of the tray to beef it up and also down the sides of the tank full length of the tray and epoxied them in, you can now pick up the tray at on end and it stays level without sagging.Got some pics if you should need any info. I have also converted the Type XX1 robbe to static with loads of mods. cheers sub

Z

zoedog1

Jason,

Are you a member of spmbc -Iv'e only been a member for a couple of months and have not seen you at the pond. Love to hear what you have got to say about the U-47. I take it as being the Robbe kit.

martin

M

matt - brighton

great to see your photo's and read of your progress - I am new to this and hope to be starting a rommg u47 in a few weeks time .

So please keep an eye out for my pleas for help if I get stuck

Regards and best of luck with the model

Matt - brighton - uk

M

matt - brighton

thanks again magpie

I am at stage 1 - cutting the pieces out with a piercing saw for the base frame.

Worried I will glue the wrong ends or sides to eachother as this is my first model - your photo's are really helpful and I will be patient

Regards

Matt - brighton (UK)

M

matt - brighton

Hello all

Well... allpieces for stage 1 cut and ready to be put together now _ armchair reading of the plans looks daunting but now all parts are cut not quite so worried

I will post progress

Thanks

Matt