Rock face photo

S

Stevekir

How did you do it? I'm experimenting right now on making convincing rock, as good as yours. The colouring is superb, as is the surface lumpiness.

(I'm assuming it is a model!)

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
How did you do it? I'm experimenting right now on making convincing rock, as good as yours. The colouring is superb, as is the surface lumpiness.(I'm assuming it is a model!)
This is the stuff I used Steve , I got it from Hobbycraft it was about £15 I think bit pricey but as you can see it gives a good effect :smiling3:

View attachment 98554

image.jpg

S

Stevekir

Following your post I have investigated scenic products and techniques. There is vastly more available than when I did scenic modelling a long time ago. Woodland Scenics' range is enormous and their site gives lots of tips, although there is much scope to save money by scratch building, for example building a rock face using crumpled aluminium foil as a mould (or, I have just thought, use the crumpled aluminium directly as the rock face after strengthening on the back with plaster or squirty foam from DIY shops, then paint the aluminium.)

What about pappadums? You know, the very thin bready things that are cooked to be eaten with curries. Here is one we have just eaten:

25 secs. in a microwave on full power, or turned down a bit in time and/or power if necessary for a less violent crinkly effect.

View attachment 98591

View attachment 98592

You could back it with plaster for strength and paint directly on the surface. I've practised this and the effect is good for churned up mud or, if a less crinkly pappadum is produced, for rocks. Mind you, if you have rats, your scene might look moth-eaten after a time.

Pappadom.jpg

Pappa.jpg

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looks great. Don't know if my imagination is running riot but I can actually see about four faces in there! :smiling3: :eek:o_O

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
\ said:
Looks great. Don't know if my imagination is running riot but I can actually see about four faces in there! :smiling3: :eek:o_O
I'm worried

S

Stevekir

\ said:
And an elephant, 4 legs and a trunk.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Drugs or beer required for this one as I can't see anything :sad: :sad: :sad:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
for example building a rock face using crumpled aluminium foil as a mould (or, I have just thought, use the crumpled aluminium directly as the rock face after strengthening on the back with plaster or squirty foam from DIY shops, then paint the aluminium.)
Steve, not a patch on Alan's rock face, but I did something similar to your suggestion.....It's in the 'How to' section entitled 'A ten minute rock face'. It might be of some use as a poor man's alternative to Alan's excellent example.

Sorry for the hi-jack Al'.....

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Steve, not a patch on Alan's rock face, but I did something similar to your suggestion.....It's in the 'How to' section entitled 'A ten minute rock face'. It might be of some use as a poor man's alternative to Alan's excellent example.Sorry for the hi-jack Al'.....
I have searched 'How to' section entitled 'A ten minute rock face' to 2006 but can't find it. Have you any more details please? Thanks.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Steve, not a patch on Alan's rock face, but I did something similar to your suggestion.....It's in the 'How to' section entitled 'A ten minute rock face'. It might be of some use as a poor man's alternative to Alan's excellent example.Sorry for the hi-jack Al'.....
Thanks Ron there are a few ways to do rock but I don't think you can get as an effect as a mould yes it costs but worth it imo

Polystyrene is a good way to get a good effect :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
I have searched 'How to' section entitled 'A ten minute rock face' to 2006 but can't find it. Have you any more details please? Thanks.
Sorry Steve, it should read...A 10 minute cliff face. It is there, but I gave you the wrong title. It's nothing special, just a quicky idea really.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Thanks Ron there are a few ways to do rock but I don't think you can get as an effect as a mould yes it costs but worth it imoPolystyrene is a good way to get a good effect :smiling3:
Quite right Alan, that mould of yours is spot on. Mine in the 'How to' is just a quicky experiment really.

Polystyrene is my favourite. for rough rock, stone work. I'll have to save some pennies and get one of those moulds soon. Excellent result....

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Sorry Steve, it should read...A 10 minute cliff face. It is there, but I gave you the wrong title. It's nothing special, just a quicky idea really.
Got it! On your first photo I particularly like the way that you got the cliff to overhang. I discovered this foil technique a few weeks ago and was thinking that it might not be necessary to make a rubber mould first and then cast the stone in plaster. Your post confirms that. I am about to brave the arctic garage this morning to do a first experiment. I hadn't thought of painting it first.

My method will be to crunch, then squirt foam (DIY stores) on the back. This is aimed at giving the foil strength (with low weight) and prevent the sharp contours from rounding off with handling. Then paint. I am trying to give the effect of a road blasted out of igneous rock which is very hard (the rock itself I mean). We shall see.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
I am about to brave the arctic garage this morning to do a first experiment. I hadn't thought of painting it first.View attachment 98664

Brave man Steve going to the garage to do some work brrrrrrrrrr make sure your wrapped up

image.jpg

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Quite right Alan, that mould of yours is spot on. Mine in the 'How to' is just a quicky experiment really.Polystyrene is my favourite. for rough rock, stone work. I'll have to save some pennies and get one of those moulds soon. Excellent result....
The way I look at it if you do a lot of dios I think it's worth it as it takes minuets to do and a few hours to complete

Yours in the how too is a very good one mate :smiling3: