Rusty Box

S

Stevekir

DSC_0227-2.jpg

DSC_0226-1.jpg

DSC_0228-3.jpg

I scratch built (my first attempt) this little box to experiment with rust. It is 3 cm by 3 cm by 2 cm front to back. At 1/24 scale it would in the original be 75 cm (30 inches) long and is intended to be a workman’s tool box bolted to a flatbed trailer (part of a coming model), made of angle iron and sheet steel riveted together, and permanently exposed to the weather.

I first experimented on a strip of styrene sheet with 2 mm strips to represent the angle iron. Because of incompatibility between paint & paint and paints & varnish, Humbrol Matt Cote and its thinners were used (the second seems to be White Sprit) at this experimental stage. The rust used was Mig Pigments Rust (P025) and Light Rust (P024). The pigments mixed with thinned Matt Cote were painted on by bristle brush to give a mottled look. When thoroughly dry a coat of Matt Cote was brushed on to fix the rust.

I tried the salt and Maskol methods of getting a finish with rusty patches, and the Internet videos show these methods give very realistic results. However, there was a scale problem. The salt grains were too big for this little object and grains small enough were almost powder. Maskol, being a thick (viscous) liquid, I found that blobs of it small enough for the model were too small and thin to be reliably rubbed off using the usual white tack without stripping the overlying colour layer. (See note ** at end about this.)

Another approach. A coat of Vallejo Model Color German Camo Green was painted on another primed styrene test piece. Using a fine bristle brush, Matt Cote with particles of the two rust colours (each separately) fully mixed in was painted on in as in the Humbrol video. The result looked what it was – painted on. Some rust is three dimensional, so I tried painting on little patches of Matt Cote (no pigment) and dropping grains of rust pigment on to them. It gave a granular surface like rust can produce. This seemed to work but when I added a final coat of Matt varnish (to allow safe handling) the pigment grains looked shiny. So back to the drawing board

I changed methods and tackled finishing the model itself, by first brush coating all over with Vallejo Model Color German Camo Green. The rivets were positioned one-by-one using sheet AR88001 by Archer Fine Transfers. (These are 3D objects on a decal sheet and are applied just like conventional decals are.) Being applied over the matt coat (the green), as expected the transparent parts of the decal reflected light (silvering).

The handles and the padlock were chromed but this does not show well in the photos. Then the model was covered with a coat of Tamiya Clear Matt (TS80, spray can) and allowed to dry. The silvering disappeared. Minute amounts of the dry pigment powders were added on a pointed toothpick or cocktail stick to the top edges of the horizontal angle irons and applied (by pressing, not rubbing) followed by a shake (don’t blow, it goes everywhere) and a very light brushing to remove loose particles. For the panels, the two pigments were sprinkled on from a dry brush knocked by another brush’s handle, then a small conical-ended cotton bud used to press (not rub) them on (a rounded cocktail stick would do). In some places I pressed the pigment with my finger. After a shake and a very light brushing to remove loose particles, they stayed put. A tiny amount of weathering was added. Finally, another coat of Tamiya Clear Matt (TS80) was sprayed to fix and allow handling.

>> So what do you think?

>> Does it look like real rust?

>> What would you have done to add rust to this sort of model?

>> How could I have made it look more like painted steel than painted plastic?

>> (I didn’t dry brush the model.)

** NOTE I was puzzled about the scale problem. The salt and Maskol methods are routinely used to add rust to 1/72 models, usually tanks and planes, which are 1/3 the scale of my box, so why were they out of scale for my model?. I think the answer is that models of tanks and planes, although at the smaller scale, are bigger objects than my little box, offering several larger areas (on the actual models) for adding salt- and Maskol-sized rust patches.

Also, the red pigments get everywhere: on hands, desk, tools, models etc. Be careful. Don’t sneeze.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I think you have done a superb job Steve, does look rusty, fresh rust so the item is still in a wet/damp environment. If it was in a more drier but with occasional wetness I would expect the light rust to be less. Cracking work though.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
your done a superb job on that Steve,very hard not to say the same as Si,

but thinking the,way,it can be a little tricky with rust so so,easy to do a little much,

but I do like it as if its been lefted in the rain,and its been hot and dry for a few days you do get that look,

and its just new rust,

very well done,its great ;)

D

dubster72

I think that looks great Steve, orange & green are complimentary colours.

I'd agree with Si, the orangy fresh rust colour works as if has been recently left in the rain or another damp environment.

Possibly some brownish patches underneath the orange would have shown the long-standing corrosion, but that's for the next one ;)

Your comments about using salt & Maskol are why I don't use either method. I just feel the effect they give is over-exaggerated & not to scale.

As to the question about making it look more like metal, perhaps a slight greyish sheen on the very edges might help. I rub an HB pencil around hatch covers etc which gives a pleasing effect.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
C'mon Steve! You've taken a picture of a real box and tried to kid us! Own up!

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I reckon that's a cracking job Steve.....

D

Deleted member 4203

Looks absolutely fantastic Steve :smiling3: ;)

As Tina Turner said:

Simply the best, better than the all the rust :D :p

Maybe that wasn't the line :confused: :D

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
A method I have used to get rust into panel edges is using enamel paints brushed on un-thinned, then using a cotton bud dipped in thinner/white spirit and working in vertical strokes top to bottom wipe off the paint from the centre of the panel. You can control the amount of paint you remove by how many strokes you use. This leaves rust in the panel edges and acts as a wash on the panel surface.

To add variety, dab spots of rust coloured oil here and there then use a flat brush moistened with thinner and draw it vertically downwards to give the impression of a rust spot breaking through the paint and streaking down the panel. With care you can also use pigments, dry, for the same effect.

I use these techniques on railway wagons with pleasing results.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Looks absolutely fantastic Steve :smiling3: ;)
As Tina Turner said:

Simply the best, better than the all the rust :D :p

Maybe that wasn't the line :confused: :D
So where's your coat then Blair?

J

John Rixon

Awesome Steve, really looks the part, and the build is tops too. But most importantly, it gets the seal of approval from Si!

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
There seem to be posts in this thread that seem to think I like rust...o_O:D

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
\ said:
There seem to be posts in this thread that seem to think I like rust...o_O:D
"The Oxidisation Oracle"........... "For those of us about to Corrode. We salute you":D

S

Stevekir

\ said:
A method I have used to get rust into panel edges is using enamel paints brushed on un-thinned, then using a cotton bud dipped in thinner/white spirit and working in vertical strokes top to bottom wipe off the paint from the centre of the panel. You can control the amount of paint you remove by how many strokes you use. This leaves rust in the panel edges and acts as a wash on the panel surface.
To add variety, dab spots of rust coloured oil here and there then use a flat brush moistened with thinner and draw it vertically downwards to give the impression of a rust spot breaking through the paint and streaking down the panel. With care you can also use pigments, dry, for the same effect.

I use these techniques on railway wagons with pleasing results.
Could yo put up a picture please?