S.A.S Counter-Terrorism in England Dio

S

scoonesy

I'm currently planning on building my second ever diorama, this time I want to build a 1/35 medium-sized dio about a fictional SAS operation in England, fighting insurgents in England, retrieving hostages. I'm not entirely sure where in England yet, I was thinking may be a street in London, a typical suburban road, a bank or a countryside area with a forest. I've done some research and this is what I've found:

SAS soldiers

Dragon 1/35 British SAS Urban Elite Series D6501

Insurgents

MB Masterbox 1/35 Iraq Kit 2 Insurgents Terrorists MB3576

Landrover Defender Wolf wmik

Hobby Boss 1/35 British Landrover Defender xD Wolf VMIK - 82446 - £19.99

I have no idea what else to use, i can't find any banks or english houses in 1/35, please post any links to things you think would be good but I'm only 15 so I don't have the biggest of budgets, thanks.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
S

scoonesy

Cheers! Great help, i was thinking of scratch building a couple of houses but I'v never done that before so if its a disaster ill have to use that website, thanks!

G

Greg147

Nice idea, I was thinking of doing something similar a while ago, but never got around to it. I'll be looking forward to seeing what you can make of it. Just a thought though, given the kits you've listed, I'm 99.9% sure the SAS don't use the WMIKs for CT ops in their home soil. They're more likely to use civvie vehicles, like plain black landrovers or transit vans, to avoid attracting attention. I could be wrong, of course, but I think the WMIKs are purely for use in warzones like Afghanistan, where they have a need to move a team over long distances as quick as possible, bringing as much equipment and firepower with them as they can, like the Willies jeeps they used in WW2, or the Pinkies in Oman.

If you were struggling to find/make a modern building, you could always try an interior scene. Those figures look like they could fit in with a room clearence situation quite well. The first thing I thought of was just at the point of entry, where the insurgents inside the room are still stunned by a flashbang, and the SAS are storming in through the door, weapons up, ready to kill or capture their enemy. On the picture of the insurgents you linked, the two figures on the left wouldn't need much work to make them look stunned. The other guy would though, but I'm sure something could be done.

Anyway, just some ideas that I thought I'd share. Good luck, who dares wins ;)

Last edited:
S

scoonesy

\ said:
Nice idea, I was thinking of doing something similar a while ago, but never got around to it. I'll be looking forward to seeing what you can make of it. Just a thought though, given the kits you've listed, I'm 99.9% sure the SAS don't use the WMIKs for CT ops in their home soil. They're more likely to use civvie vehicles, like plain black landrovers or transit vans, to avoid attracting attention. I could be wrong, of course, but I think the WMIKs are purely for use in warzones like Afghanistan, where they have a need to move a team over long distances as quick as possible, bringing as much equipment and firepower with them as they can, like the Willies jeeps they used in WW2, or the Pinkies in Oman.If you were struggling to find/make a modern building, you could always try an interior scene. Those figures look like they could fit in with a room clearence situation quite well. The first thing I thought of was just at the point of entry, where the insurgents inside the room are still stunned by a flashbang, and the SAS are storming in through the door, weapons up, ready to kill or capture their enemy. On the picture of the insurgents you linked, the two figures on the left wouldn't need much work to make them look stunned. The other guy would though, but I'm sure something could be done.

Hmm yeah i thought about that at first but i'm having like a public camera crew and the road will be blocked off and stuff so the terrorists would be expecting some armed police to try and get rid of them anyway so there is no point in making the sas arrive undercover as the whole scene would be publicly exposed in the media anyway and they would be expecting resistance. Besides, a wolf wmik looks so much better than a civvy car in a dio.

S

scoonesy

-PLAN FOR DIORAMA- Re: S.A.S Counter-Terrorism in England Dio

This is a plan for the diorama, In real life it will be more stretched out so the camera crew aren't so close, and of course in real life the insurgents won't be lego men. But this is the general plan of what it will be like when finished. Please leave any comments, remember the real thing will look quite different, this is just a basic plan for the diorama.

H

Hunty22

Go for it mate. Great idea for a dio. Looking forward to seeing your progress on this one.

Steve

S

scoonesy

Thanks, starting on it tommorow, ill keep this updated with pics :D

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You might want to take a look at some of the pictures Google throws up on the subject london embassy siege - Google-søgning

There are also some video here: london embassy siege - Google-søgning

It was a most Interesting situation and to think that it was 20 years ago. The world has come a long way!

Ian M

H

Hunty22

It was 31 years ago mate. Never forget those images coming through the goggle box when I was a youngster.

S

scoonesy

PICTURES OF THE ROAD WILL BE UP SHORTLY, just letting the "tar" dry so i can paint on road markings and make a drain and manhole cover

B

Boldman

I remember walking past the burnt out ruin a few months later on the way to the Albert Hall for the Proms in 1980.

S

scoonesy

Here are the photos of the road so far, sorry about the quality, my sister is borrowing my camera so i had to use my webcam >.< Anyway, the road isn't completely finished, when its stuck onto the diorama board ill make a pothole. The trees next to it are just to show what else i've done, in the real thing they will not be there. Please leave any comments on how to improve, Thanks!

P.S, the gap in the middle will be fixed, i had to make the road on two seperate pieces of card, the bad quality makes it look a bit cheap and rushed but when i get my proper camera back ill take some hd photos.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Duh! 30 years silly me!

Ian M

P

pointblank0

\ said:
Nice idea, I was thinking of doing something similar a while ago, but never got around to it. I'll be looking forward to seeing what you can make of it. Just a thought though, given the kits you've listed, I'm 99.9% sure the SAS don't use the WMIKs for CT ops in their home soil. They're more likely to use civvie vehicles, like plain black landrovers or transit vans, to avoid attracting attention. I could be wrong, of course, but I think the WMIKs are purely for use in warzones like Afghanistan, where they have a need to move a team over long distances as quick as possible, bringing as much equipment and firepower with them as they can, like the Willies jeeps they used in WW2, or the Pinkies in Oman.If you were struggling to find/make a modern building, you could always try an interior scene. Those figures look like they could fit in with a room clearence situation quite well. The first thing I thought of was just at the point of entry, where the insurgents inside the room are still stunned by a flashbang, and the SAS are storming in through the door, weapons up, ready to kill or capture their enemy. On the picture of the insurgents you linked, the two figures on the left wouldn't need much work to make them look stunned. The other guy would though, but I'm sure something could be done.

Dead right about the landy. They are very likely to use old high transits or sprinters at the moment, the same as SO19, usually with roof cage , with ladders and bits and bobs. Usually boxed, with no windows in the back at all. Either black or dark blue and NEVER in good looking condition!

Those CT SAS soldoers are great. I had exactly the same ones years ago, and was very pleased with the quality. I see that the box shows them using S10 respirators. Do you know if the kit comes with the option to fit S6 respirators too? Just thinking along the lines of an 80's seige.

First Name
Drew
Going by the "blueprint" that looks great. I'm a bit like that too, I can see a dio but can find that one very important part.

I've had trouble finding a civvie looking vehicle in 1/35 too - iff you have any luck please let me know.

I have the MB Insurgents in my stash, they're pretty good but don't really lend themselves to any sort of conversions.

P.S. I absolutely LOVED the Lego insurgents too, love it.

S

scoonesy

\ said:
Going by the "blueprint" that looks great. I'm a bit like that too, I can see a dio but can find that one very important part.I've had trouble finding a civvie looking vehicle in 1/35 too - iff you have any luck please let me know.

I have the MB Insurgents in my stash, they're pretty good but don't really lend themselves to any sort of conversions.

P.S. I absolutely LOVED the Lego insurgents too, love it.
Haha thanks for helping, i cant find any civvie cars in 1/35 either for some reason, the picture of the finished road will be up shortly, Im pretty proud of it if i say so myself seeing as this is like my second diorama and the first diorama in detail :P The road is a typical english road, potholes, untidy marks of tar from previous roadworks, uneven road markings, manhole cover and a grenade explosion in the middle...

S

scoonesy

Right, Here we go! I got my proper camera back, stuck the roads to some plasterboard and made some potholes and a grenade explosion hole. Please leave any comments and any ways of making it more realistic, thanks!

S

scoonesy

Hey people, i decided to put the photos up today because it seems like i won't be getting the new trees and grassmats for a while because i'm going to focus on building the figures instead of the actual scenery. So far i haven't spent a single penny on this diorama, it's all recycled stuff i've found in the house. The road is made from sandpaper, the pavement is made from some crack filling stuff from the garage, the curbs are made from a long strip of balsa wood, the trees are from an old train set i had when i was little, the stream is simply dried wood adhesive from the attic and the twigs and soil in the wooded area are just from the garden. All is about to change though, i'm about to spend £40 on the figures alone :sad: oh well hope you like it so far! Remember in the wooded area there will be a few more trees added in a few weeks time.

B

Boldman

Thats coming along nicely - I like the kerb, you've got some nice uneveness there, just like the real thing :smiling3: Nice ground clutter in the woodland, don't forget dried herbs from the kitchen or a ground up old dry leaf to add leaf litter. Watch for the stones however, at this scale stones of that size would tend to be embeded in the earth, not sitting on top of it (because they'd be rocks, not stones!)

Edit: just noticed the "badly" over-painted white lines in the middle of the road - great stuff :D