Sand bags 1-48 scale

First Name
Robert
hi guys need a little help.

While trying to make my 1/48 display base ( Malta defence ) I'm looking to build. I've started with the base and got some med gravel and powdery gravel for the limestone

I want to make a few sandbags and have got clay ( I'm just waiting to know size of bag ? Example to make about 60+

Any help would be grateful

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
this may be of some help,what I would do,is work of the width of a figure,

for length,so some were around the 8mm make,maybe wrong by about

4mm think,

so roll some clay,in what ever length,you like,to the thickness,say 6mm,

the cut it down to 8mm,or so length,then squish it down,and just shape it

between your fingers to look like a sand bag,

hope this helps,

maybe do a few and look against the figure then resize to fit, ;)

First Name
Robert
Yeah thanks Monica ( I did that with the Libya desert scene ( just 1/48 a little bit smaller.

It sounds the best option

Many thanks

Robert

First Name
Adrian
If you want to add a little texture to them I found an old sieve out and made impressions on the ones I built, gives the effect of the sack.

Adrian

First Name
Robert
\ said:
If you want to add a little texture to them I found an old sieve out and made impressions on the ones I built, gives the effect of the sack.
Adrian
I have an old tea strainer ( cracking tip Adrian thanks a lot )

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
that would work well,Robert,just push it down but not to hard to flatten them, ;)

S

Stevekir

You could add some surface undulations or creases or hollows by wrapping a suitable piece of clay in cling film and pressing on it, to make smooth differences in levels which would be more natural. If you want to add creases, fold or scrunch the clingfilm. Although with 60 to make you will need some sort of production line.

P

Plastickitbasher

This may be of some help, I made a blank of a standard Tamiya 1:35 sand in clay left it to dry overnight. I then used clay but found milliput to be better for casting. In the blank put on some release agent in the blank, lay a peace of cling film over the blank with some release agent and an old brush push the cling film into the blank. Fill with clay or milliput and then gently pull on the cling film to remove your freshly made sandbag blank, put it in place then shape it, score it. Old mesh or an old bit of cloth pressed lightly over the bag will give it texture, a cocktail stick will work for scoring the sides to make a seam.

All you need to do is find a 1:48 sandbag that fits the general bill and go from there.

I hope the above is of some help

Regards

David.

Release agent anything non sticky!!