Sanding sticks

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Hello chaps,

I currently use mostly Flory Models sanding sticks.

I purchased them when I first started getting back into modelling and while I find them ok I am now starting to run out so am looking to purchase some more and wondered what you guys use/recommend.

Thanks,

Geoff.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I'm a big fan of the UMP range of sanding sticks. Mostly use the 400 grit skinny sanders, 280 grit sponged sanders and the polishing thinny sticks.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I like the UMP skinny sticks and use them in tight spaces but by far my favourite are the Infini sticks, available from the shop.

I have the Zebra range and the soft ones. I believe the matador are a little smaller.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ump for me , plus some 180&220.mirkon

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I also much prefer UMP sanders. I've tried others but either the grit wears off too quickly or the different sponge layers separate.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I use Albion alloy sponges and sheets for the finer stuff, and basic Oakeys Emery for the coarser grades. In most applications I back them with wood profiles (beading triangles are especially useful) rather than use pre made sticks, simply because I have been doing it that way for years. For smoothing things like part edges and filled fuselage joins on aircraft hard backing is essential to take off the high spots without making hollows. One of my more useful devices is a flat board with areas of 100, 280, 400, and 800 grit Emery stuck to it. Fantastic for quickly dressing flat edges and faces on parts. Weirdly the Emery lasts years when used like this as well.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I use the full range of Infiny sanding products. All of these have different uses.

Softback Sanding Sticks
Matador Sticks
Zebra Sticks
Sanding Sponges (I cut these up to reach small spaces using locking tweezers to hold them)
Elastic Sanding sheets
The PE sanders (great for small spaces)
The glass files (perfect for filing off sprue gate nubs)
The metal files (perfect for shaping small parts and holes)

Looks like a lot of different things but they are great quality, last a long time, and should be regarded as a ‘system’. All have uses and all are used on every model.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Thanks chaps :thumb2:

It’s interesting to see the variety of different brands used, plenty of food for thought.

I’m going to do a bit more research and see which would suit me best.

Cheers,

Geoff

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I mostly use my wife's nail care abrasives. They run from coarse to polish & from foam block to wood mountings & from flat to round tapered to a point. I also have a set of micro-files.

PsiFox

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I too have a full set of the UMP skinny sticks. I also have the infini E sanders with the very small shaped blades and self adhesive sand papers.

I also have a set of both infini glass sanders, which are really great.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I usually pop down to the local hardware shop round the corner and get my wet sanding papers there...all types of fine to coarse grains. Usually two sheets each lasts me ages and haven't replenished them. I cut them to manageable sizes and back some of them with lolly or bamboo skewers. I occasionally use the sponge ones, again locally produced and haven't run out. I normally prefer my blade for seams.

Cheers,
Wabble

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Get some different grades of wet'n'dry paper, double sided tape, foam board and make your own..... same as rtfoe, so much cheaper...

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Get some different grades of wet'n'dry paper, double sided tape, foam board and make your own..... same as rtfoe, so much cheaper...
If you haven’t got double sided tape, evo stick contact works as well……