SAS Helicopter - Modified 1/48 Trumpeter Aerospatiale AS365N Dauphin 2

C

Caledonia

Another first for me, never done a helicopter before. A fairly small kit 92 Parts, the kit is dated 2002, and the panels look well detailed with subtle rivets and panel lines.

8 Flight Army Air Corps is a little known branch of the British Army which provided transport for SAS operations. The Helicopters are painted in commercial colours so they do not raise any eyebrows at civilian airports. As well as providing covert transport, they also fly the SAS into action. The link below shows one such Helicopter, which I will be basing my model on.

Photo Search Results | Airliners.net

A quick review shows that the tail rotor on the kit is too small diameter, there is nothing I can do about that. I can however modify the tail and extend the nose, and of course change the colour.

Cheers Derek

View attachment 40864View attachment 40865View attachment 40866View attachment 40867View attachment 40868

View attachment 44536

View attachment 44537

View attachment 44538

View attachment 44539

View attachment 44540

K1.jpg

K2.jpg

K3.jpg

K4.jpg

K5.jpg

V

Vajled

nice choice... I like helicopters...

will following this build with interest :smiling3:

Roman

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Good choice. Not enough choppers on here. I am hoping to follow this one.

The coming flood of 1/48 goodies from airfix, revell and a few others as well will hopefully put that right.

Ian M

C

Caledonia

Thanks Chaps, Ian I got interested in this one after being given the 'Ultimate Force' DVD Box set at X-mas. The series did not feature the actual Helicopter the SAS use, but I found it with a little research. I also have the 1/48 Hasagawa RAF SAR's Seaking in my stash, got this at 33% off from Amazon, strangely enough the seller turned out to be Modelzone. Bought this last one as I watch Highland Rescue on Freeview 5Star. Cheers Derek

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
This will be an interesting build to follow.

Don't see too much of covert op's aircraft, for obvious reasons I suppose.

I'll enjoy watching this.

Tony.

C

Caledonia

Finally got round to this one. Was going to break away from my Trawler to do this one but never got round to it.

This will be an out of the box build. The kit is obviously aimed for the Japanese market, with the instructions in their language, but its a simple kit, so no one should have a problem with it.

Just a couple of shots of the work so far, the colours are based on those when viewing photos on the airliners.net website. The top pane of the cockpit canopy was tinted blue on the inside using Tamiya Clear Blue X-23 with a drop of Tamiya thinner.

There were no decals for the instrument panel, this had me confused for a while until I realized you had to cut out the paper panel printed on the assembly instructions - pretty crude, but I doubt if you will see much of it when the model is closed up.

View attachment 51091View attachment 51092

Cheers Derek

View attachment 53699

View attachment 53700

B1.jpg

B2.jpg

C

Caledonia

Have added an open bulkhead behind the pilots seats as shown on the photos. Used scrap plasticard, evergreen and decals. Have also assembled the gearbox and engine cowling at the rotors. The fuselage seams are pretty bad so will need several passes of filler before a satisfactory finish can be achieved.

View attachment 51199View attachment 51200

Have also started to construct the extended nose, as can be seen in the photo. For this I used the mouldings from the rescue winch, which is not needed, and cut off its tapered end. A lot of filling and blending in will be needed.

View attachment 51201View attachment 51202

Cheers Derek

View attachment 53796

View attachment 53797

View attachment 53798

View attachment 53799

B3.jpg

B4.jpg

B5.jpg

B6.jpg

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Coming along nicely Derek.

Tony.

C

Caledonia

Tony,Trey and Roman, Thanks for your support.

Some time ago I bought some Vallejo Plastic Putty in a local model shop, never used it before so thought I would try it out in filling the new nose. I applied three layers, allowing it to dry 24 hours between each. It dries nice and hard and can be filled and sanded no problem; I preferred sanding as the file clogged up very quickly. I noticed it shrunk quite a bit, so for me personally I will not use it as a seam filler, but it is great for larger shape changing mods.

For the housing on the underside of the nose I shaped some scrap plastic, and sandwiched it between layers of the above putty. Going to give the mod a coat of Mr Surfacer 500 and do some fine grain sanding before priming. Cheers Derek

View attachment 51390View attachment 51391View attachment 51392

View attachment 53981

View attachment 53982

View attachment 53983

B7.jpg

B8.jpg

B9.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Glad to see you back and I hope you had a nice holiday.

Looks like a filler monster you got there.

Ian M

C

Caledonia

Finally got the nose shaped and smoothed off. Been adding the various antenna as per the SAS Helicoptes; have left off the whip antenna until after painting. Trumpeter have done a pretty tidy job of representing the Rotor mechanism and Rotors. Last photo shows a dry fit of the Main and Tail rotor. One or two small bits to add before painting. Plan to use a white primer, but am going to wait until the Sea Vixen is at the primer stage, and will prime them both at the same time also with white. Derek

View attachment 52485View attachment 52486View attachment 52487View attachment 52488View attachment 52489

View attachment 55026

View attachment 55027

View attachment 55028

View attachment 55029

View attachment 55030

B12.jpg

B13.jpg

B14.jpg

B15.jpg

B16.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great work sorting out the awkward canopy derek , its looking really good , cheers tony

C

Caledonia

Thanks Tony, this week I added the extra bits and pieces to the tail etc, based on the airliner.net photos, and using scrap plastic.

View attachment 52773View attachment 52774

Finished off the Rotor mechanism, and primed it white.

View attachment 52776

And primed the canopy area grey to match the grey of the cockpit interior

View attachment 52775

Had great difficulty matching the blue of the photos I have of the SAS Helicopter, after a few attempts, I finally realisted that the blue was a metallic blue, so took a copy of the photo in the picture below to the local Modelzone shop and found a Tamiya aerosol can of TS-19 Metallic Blue, which I think is as close as I will get.

View attachment 52777View attachment 52778

Still to add the top coat of white, and a few other bits and pieces of painting. Cheers Derek

View attachment 55296

View attachment 55297

View attachment 55298

View attachment 55299

View attachment 55300

View attachment 55301

B17.jpg

B18.jpg

B20.jpg

B19.jpg

B21.jpg

B22.jpg

B

backonthecase

Lovely work Derek, very nice indeed. Got the colours and masking really crisp and they look real close to the photo!

A+ so far!

Stuart