Saturn V

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Superb pictures Richard, those Rocketdyne F1 engines are just the dogs-do-das, had issues with them at first with oscillation on firing that caused damage and blew one up IIRC in the test facility at Edwards, they solved it by adding baffles at the top of the engine bell, apart from the centre one all the other four used gimbals for steering, superb technology, goes to show what mankind can achieve apart from develop stuff for war and killing.

Si:smiling3:

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bunkerbarge

This to me has always been "the" rocket. It captured the imagination of the world when it launched and first put a man, not just on the moon, but on any other celestial body other than earth. However when you get to see it like this you really get to feel the enourmity of it all. That first stage is nothing more than two massive fuel tanks, one full of kerosine and one full of liquid oxygen. All those nozzles at the bottom do, after ignition, is mix it in the right proportions and direct the thrust. The enormity of it all is really breathtaking. Then, when you consider the only part that returns to earth intact is the tiny shiny bit at the top, it all seems so amazing!

I was actually very lucky to have been shown around by a retired Chief Engineer who had worked with NASA since '61. There really isn't anything he doesn't know about the space program, the machinery, the astronauts and the facility, and was happy to share it with me for a day. I felt completely humbled and in awe of the whole thing and eternally grateful to him for giving me his time and experiences.