Scale measurements

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hello all.
I have a scale 1.35 rule from RB, used many times. Today while measuring the opening for some gates I had a look at

Now when I measure with the rule against my normal ruler.

2021_4.jpg
The lower one and the scale version

2021_2.jpg
When I measure the scale length and put it into the conversion chart I get.

Scale Ratio :
Real Length mm cm meters km inches feet yards miles nautical miles
Scale Length mm cm meters km inches feet yards miles nautical miles

89 × 1 ÷ 35 = 2.5428571429 mm

While using the rule it comes out at over 3 .010 mm .
Any reason why and where am I miss using .
Here is the photo just taken of the scale rule with the normal size showing the 89mm and the scale measurement.

2021_5.jpg
Confused to say the least with the scale converter.

Attachments

• 2021.jpg
    2021.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 0

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
To me, the ruler is incorrect. 89 mm divided by 35 is 2.54, as given by the calculator.
if the answer was 3, as given by the ruler, then 3 x 35 should give you 89, which it obviously doesn’t. The scale ruler is actually giving you the scale distance for just over 105 mm. Are you sure it’s not actually a 1/30 scale rule?

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
John,
Download a free app called Hobby color converter. As well as having a really good colour converter it has an excellent scale converter as well.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hmmmm,Not sure what`s going on there John:thinking:,
HOWEVER,Judging by the date on your Scale ruler,(Pre 2016)...... i`d say "BLAME BREXIT" ..........
For everything else that goes wrong it seems to be the culprit these days!!:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:
Andy

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John
Can't help, sorry, but that Scale Conversion Calculator is really useful.
Jim

That's what I've thought Jim, so judging by what Tim says and my own measurements the rule from RB is incorrect.

To me, the ruler is incorrect. 89 mm divided by 35 is 2.54, as given by the calculator.
if the answer was 3, as given by the ruler, then 3 x 35 should give you 89, which it obviously doesn’t. The scale ruler is actually giving you the scale distance for just over 105 mm. Are you sure it’s not actually a 1/30 scale rule?

My thought exactly Tim, its has printed on it 1/35 .

John,
Download a free app called Hobby color converter. As well as having a really good colour converter it has an excellent scale converter as well.

Good idea Paul i'll look at that in a few minutes, thank you.

WELL TO ME John i was lost just reading it lol
chris
:smiling3:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hmmmm,Not sure what`s going on there John:thinking:,
HOWEVER,Judging by the date on your Scale ruler,(Pre 2016)...... i`d say "BLAME BREXIT" ..........
For everything else that goes wrong it seems to be the culprit these days!!:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:
Andy
Now that's a thought so using the compound interest rate divided by 25 x 12 x 135 it works quite well .I blame the French .

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Mark 1 eyeball works just fine. If it looks good it is good.:smiling:
Agree with you on that Paul, I also used a figure when doing door ways.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
John,

Sorry can't help but have enjoyed the humorous posts nonetheless!!
ATB.

Andrew

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I,m with Chris,[ boatman ] on this one as well never been good at working them out and have
over the years ask for some help ,just don,t get my head around it, :disappointed2:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You should trust the calculations and not the ruler. The arithmetic will always give the correct answer, assuming you press the right buttons on your calculator - unless of course you're trying to work out 2 + 2 ÷ 2 = :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:!

It more likely that the markings on your ruler have not been scribed accurately.

I don't know why you need a special calculator for scales. There's only a couple of things to remember:

ALWAYS use millimetres as your start measurement.

From real to scale size, divide by the scale.

From scale to real size, multiply by the scale.

The answers you get will be the measurement you want in millimetres.

If your answer looks silly, you've done your calculation the wrong way round.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
You should trust the calculations and not the ruler. The arithmetic will always give the correct answer, assuming you press the right buttons on your calculator - unless of course you're trying to work out 2 + 2 ÷ 2 = :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:!

It more likely that the markings on your ruler have not been scribed accurately.

I don't know why you need a special calculator for scales. There's only a couple of things to remember:

YEA back to front an upside down lol :rolling: :upside::smiling4::smiling4::smiling4:
chris

• Love
Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John,

Sorry can't help but have enjoyed the humorous posts nonetheless!!
ATB.

Andrew
Glad you found it amusing Andrew :smiling3:

I,m with Chris,[ boatman ] on this one as well never been good at working them out and have
over the years ask for some help ,just don,t get my head around it, :disappointed2:

Think the only time you need to work to a scale is when you've got a dio as well Mon.

Dave I bought that scale rule when I first came back to modeling because of building dios, by the time you read this it will be in the bin ! :thumb2:

YEA back to front an upside down lol :rolling: :upside::smiling4::smiling4::smiling4:
chris
Chris could you ask Jen to give you some more of the meds Matron left. I think its time.:smiling3:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Back when the world was very young, I started an engineering course. One of the modules was of course technical drawing and we students were supplied with all the drawing instruments we would need for the course (They weren't free mind, we had to pay a weekly amount). One of the items supplied was a triangular scale rule with 6 assorted scales. I can't remember what happened to mine but I know I never used it for any sort of measuring. Longer lines were done using the rules on the drawing board so I suspect the only thing I used it for was putting in cross hatching!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
chris
(boatman quote)

Chris could you ask Jen to give you some more of the meds Matron left. I think its time.:smiling3:
(John quote)

:thinking: :rolling::upside::smiling4::smiling4::smiling4:John im full of them now as matron dint leave enough as unknow to me till i caught her jens been getting high as well on them as she's been danceing in the livin room lol :rolling::smiling4::smiling4:;)so have not got no more meds an if matron returns please tell her to leave her big neddles at home as Aaaaaaaaagggghhhhh they hurt lol:face-with-head-bandage::cold-sweat::flushed:

chris an jen

• Love
Reactions: JR