Sci-fi kitbash

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks all.

I spent ages trying to design the engines but in the end I just picked up an 8mm rawlplug and started chopping and gluing :tears-of-joy:so tthe result is more luck than judgement!

I'm still debating about the colour scheme but it's had a coat of black in all the nooks & crannies as a starter.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Looks real good. I like the way you haven't overloaded it with weapons as so many Sci Fi creations are. I've always wondered where the h**l they keep all the ammo?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Loving this. Something very organic about the shape, almost lizard like :thumb2:

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
That looks fantastic Andy sat in its undercoat. The rear section sort of reminds me of the interceptors from UFO that had the enormous missiles on the front.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks again all, I'm glad you like it so far.

I may have to make some kind of stand as it sits awkwardly due to the shape. I did consider adding landing gear but haven't yet. I'll see how it evolves.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I made a basic stand from bits of sprue and some textured black paint:

1000007197.jpg

After much thought about the colour I decided on red, similar to the image I'm using for inspiration. I want to go for heavily chipped and beaten up so went overboard with the shading & highlights, knowing they'd be toned down by later stages.

I used AK acrylics, working through various shades: Black Red, Dirty Red, Carmine, Blood Red.

I've also used several different metallics, some out of the bottle, some mixed by me, but it's still early stages with plenty of work left to do.

1000007193.jpg

1000007194.jpg

1000007195.jpg

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Amazing work made even more fantastic as it's nigh on all from your own head and hands.
You guys never fail to amaze me with your skills and abilities.

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
It's intriguing isn't it, that ever since Star Wars' 'lived in and dirty' universe, everyone does paint chipping on SF stuff. Unless it's star Trek. In the future / Galaxy far away, no-one has made long-lasting hard-wearing paint...

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks guys
It's intriguing isn't it, that ever since Star Wars' 'lived in and dirty' universe, everyone does paint chipping on SF stuff. Unless it's star Trek. In the future / Galaxy far away, no-one has made long-lasting hard-wearing paint...
I made a right mess of painting the metal strip down the side. I should have masked & sprayed it but decided to have a go a brushing it instead. It looked so bad that I had to disguise it somehow...

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I think that is due to the fact that In Star Wars space ships didn't just stay in space. They kept returning to atmospheric planets with weather, sand/dirt and not lived out their entire service in the cold vacuum of space.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The wear on this is totally believable to me. I know this is totally fictitious but bear with me…..this is how I see it, and yes, I’ve woken up far too early and have nothing better to do. None of this is supposed to detract from what I think is a cracking build full of ingenuity and genuine skill, it’s just the random musing of an overactive mind ;)

The area of operations of a craft like this would probably be planetary orbit or local space (think of carrier warfare in space). It’s not suited to deep space flight on its own, simply because the crew don’t have enough room to move around much. In addition to which any spacecraft moving between star systems would be incredibly unlucky to encounter another craft simply because of the unimaginable distances involved. The areas in which it will operate will therefore have debris fields, especially in a warfare situation.

A developed planet, like our own already does, will have a debris field of space junk surrounding it. This junk comes from big things like life expired satellites right down to small things discarded bolts and even paint flakes. Basically flying through this field will be like moving through a hail of machine gun bullets that are moving around twenty times faster than those fired by a gun. Combat will just make this worse because damage and destruction of the combatants causes more bits of junk to fly off and add to this field. Even a near space battlefield, such as between planetary systems, will briefly be a debris field until the debris disperses.

Flying through this debris field will therefore cause impact damage and wear on surfaces exactly like that shown by Andy. So, great job Andy :thumb2::thumb2: