Scotties Bergpanzer Buffalo.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
You say you haven't done much, but what you have looks excellent.
Thanks Andy for your support along the way.
Or do a little bit more work and you can have the Dutch version :smiling3: Mainly involves replacing the smoke launchers and antenna mountings, off the top of my head, and swapping the AAMG, if you fit that, for a MAG.
Jakko I'm having enough trouble with this one lol.
You ask if you should leave the top loose - nawww!!! let 'em get eye strain looking in the doors....
As for the rest of your work - brilliant as always.
I get the mojo slipping in and out, getting that myself with the Doher where I find sitting on my arris munching on a Magnum and shouting at the tv seems the better of two evils....
Thanks mate. Getting a bit frustrated at the moment. It's my fault just detailed the front winch cable hatch to find that it is covered by the up armoured front panel.
If I choose to build it without the armour it will mean a whole mountain of scratch work as everything on the front is designed for the up armoured version.

Or does anyone know if they just took what was on the hull off and bolted it on the new armour?

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I modified the front winch cover as I wanted it open. It can be posed open or shut as it moves on the shaft. But don't know why I bothered as when the front armour is fitted you cant see it. It appears that the front winch was redundant when this armour was fitted. I can't see any markings on the mouldings to say the armour opened and I can't find any pictures of the front armour with the spade down.

DSCF4292.JPG
DSCF4293.JPG

The front mudguard hinges were moulded solid but I have opened them up to reflect the tubular construction.

DSCF4291.JPG

And finally the instructions called for item H7 to be fitted. There is no sprue H and no H listed on the sprue guide. So made a very simple copy of the item the instructions showed.

DSCF4294.JPG

cheers
Scottie

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
tank-masters.de has many pics of BPz3A1 Buf w/blade down.

vizenz

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andreas
Paul, you're doing a great job!
And now I unfortunately have bad news for you.
I didn't really understand your text about the recovery winds being hidden by the armor - until I looked at a built Hobby Boss Büffel model on the internet. I'm not a Büffel ARV expert, but I have relevant literature, and both the original Canadian conversion and the later German conversion have little in common with the model's front armor. As far as I can see, the continuous front armor on the Hobby Boss model is completely wrong.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That makes sense. It would be rather odd if important recovery equipment like the winch was blocked by add-on armour, IMHO.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Paul, you're doing a great job!
And now I unfortunately have bad news for you.
I didn't really understand your text about the recovery winds being hidden by the armor - until I looked at a built Hobby Boss Büffel model on the internet. I'm not a Büffel ARV expert, but I have relevant literature, and both the original Canadian conversion and the later German conversion have little in common with the model's front armor. As far as I can see, the continuous front armor on the Hobby Boss model is completely wrong.
Andreas, I think your right and the pictures I can find of this are completely different to the kit offering. It's almost as if they made it up as I can find no reference pictures of a real vehicle with the armour set up as shown in the kit. When you do a search for the vehicle the only pictures you get are of the kit and not a real vehicle. Paul (minitnkr) sent me a link and the armour is different at the front with no bar armour.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That makes sense. It would be rather odd if important recovery equipment like the winch was blocked by add-on armour, IMHO.
Very true. The picture link I have of it that Paul sent me shows different frontal armour with the winch cover hinging at the bottom and not the top.

vizenz

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andreas
Andreas, I think your right and the pictures I can find of this are completely different to the kit offering. It's almost as if they made it up as I can find no reference pictures of a real vehicle with the armour set up as shown in the kit. When you do a search for the vehicle the only pictures you get are of the kit and not a real vehicle. Paul (minitnkr) sent me a link and the armour is different at the front with no bar armour.
Exactly. Here is a photo of one of the two Canadian Buffalo conversions. The armor is slightly different to the later German one, but the principle is the same. Although different armor (light and heavy) can be mounted on the sides, this does not change the vehicle front of the Bergepanzer 3A1.

IMG_20240507_191311.jpg

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I modified the front winch cover as I wanted it open. It can be posed open or shut as it moves on the shaft. But don't know why I bothered as when the front armour is fitted you cant see it. It appears that the front winch was redundant when this armour was fitted. I can't see any markings on the mouldings to say the armour opened and I can't find any pictures of the front armour with the spade down.

View attachment 508182
View attachment 508183

The front mudguard hinges were moulded solid but I have opened them up to reflect the tubular construction.

View attachment 508184

And finally the instructions called for item H7 to be fitted. There is no sprue H and no H listed on the sprue guide. So made a very simple copy of the item the instructions showed.

View attachment 508185

cheers
Scottie

Attachments

• 24002aae977f78561f9b4ceb77fb16bd.jpg
    24002aae977f78561f9b4ceb77fb16bd.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 13

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Thanks Andy for your support along the way.

Jakko I'm having enough trouble with this one lol.

Thanks mate. Getting a bit frustrated at the moment. It's my fault just detailed the front winch cable hatch to find that it is covered by the up armoured front panel.
If I choose to build it without the armour it will mean a whole mountain of scratch work as everything on the front is designed for the up armoured version.

Or does anyone know if they just took what was on the hull off and bolted it on the new armour?
From what information I have gathered regarding my future build, it looks like it was all just bolt on aka the Challenger 2. The Canadians had two in Afghanistan, one fully armoured up and the other without.
PM sent.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Added a bit more detail, made a new crowbar and location parts.

DSCF4295.JPG

The white box item above has been removed from both sides due to my not reading the instructions properly and making the mount incorrectly. :tongue-out3:

Next I removed the moulded version of what ever this is and scratched a new one, only to discover that it is completely covered by an item later in the build.

DSCF4295.JPG

cheers
Scottie

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
I've been following your build from the real cheap seats, Paul and it doesn't matter if it's modern or old, you always go the extra mile on it. Scratchy is superb as usual and you are having fun, which counts the most. I too, think leaving the top loose and the hatches open would be the way to go to let everyone see the interior. I can't wait to see how this baby turns out Bro!!!...

Prost
Allen

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Fantastic work as always Paul.
Oh, to have the time to post incremental stages.
By the time I can get myself unraveled, clean up, eat me supper and catch up on everybody's drama
and if not hurting too badly, I might get in an hour or two a couple of nights a week.

Thing is I'm concocting another kit bash, bad ass halftrack made from a 2 1/2 ton M35 cargo truck and
a Panzer II running gear with a mounted M2A1 105mm Howitzer on an extended chassis and bed.
There is so much scratching and "creating" for lack of a better term, that it's taking an eternity to get
darn near anything done.....even the gun is quite fiddly and intricate.

The health situation ain't so hot lately either, the COPD is wreaking havoc and now I seem to be getting these
awful nose bleeds. Don't know if it's the altitude or too much bouncing about on the equipment or what.

SHHH! don't let on to mother, else she might tie me to her apron.....Then what?!

So much about my plight..... The kit you chose is one of those "dream kits" and very few can do it any kind of justice
Thank God we have you to show how it's supposed to be done.
So much detail and the fact that you can enhance it even more with your exquisite scratching up is phenomenal.
BRAVO! to the Master!

Carry on Mate,

Jim.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I've been following your build from the real cheap seats, Paul and it doesn't matter if it's modern or old, you always go the extra mile on it. Scratchy is superb as usual and you are having fun, which counts the most. I too, think leaving the top loose and the hatches open would be the way to go to let everyone see the interior. I can't wait to see how this baby turns out Bro!!!...

Prost
Allen
Hi matey, thanks it is a bit modern for me but it's still fu to do. I will be leaving the top off or removable but will have to add the details to the underside .
Fantastic work as always Paul.
Oh, to have the time to post incremental stages.
By the time I can get myself unraveled, clean up, eat me supper and catch up on everybody's drama
and if not hurting too badly, I might get in an hour or two a couple of nights a week.

Thing is I'm concocting another kit bash, bad ass halftrack made from a 2 1/2 ton M35 cargo truck and
a Panzer II running gear with a mounted M2A1 105mm Howitzer on an extended chassis and bed.
There is so much scratching and "creating" for lack of a better term, that it's taking an eternity to get
darn near anything done.....even the gun is quite fiddly and intricate.

The health situation ain't so hot lately either, the COPD is wreaking havoc and now I seem to be getting these
awful nose bleeds. Don't know if it's the altitude or too much bouncing about on the equipment or what.

SHHH! don't let on to mother, else she might tie me to her apron.....Then what?!

So much about my plight..... The kit you chose is one of those "dream kits" and very few can do it any kind of justice
Thank God we have you to show how it's supposed to be done.
So much detail and the fact that you can enhance it even more with your exquisite scratching up is phenomenal.
BRAVO! to the Master!

Carry on Mate,

Jim.
Hi Jim, I have COPD as well but only mild, but I wont be running any marathons lol. Your build sounds like an interesting one looking forward to seeing it finished. That's very kind of you to say the kit has a few issues and some strange instructions.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I have slowly been adding details mostly metal pins and chains.

DSCF4301.JPG
DSCF4302.JPG

added the stowage basket and some scratched retaining rings to the lid.

DSCF4300.JPG

Next scratched a new shackle pin and storage location. Before and after then another one to make.

DSCF4299.JPG

Finally for now added some detail to the little winch this was to allow the "A" frame to be positioned via a camera from inside the vehicle.

DSCF4303.JPG

cheers
Scottie

Last edited: