Scotties Steyr RSO

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I dunno....these things were practically lived in, packed full of personal gear and weapons, all piled on and around a vehicle with a hastily applied paint job just to get it out the door.....not to mention the harsh weather conditions with the crew climbing in and out constantly....I could visualize some serious wear and tear :thumb2: Rick H.
Cheers Rick, That is what I was thinking but it may a be a bit over done.
Looked like the inside of my Scammell Paul, well and truly used.
Love it. Personally I would leave it.
Thanks John, appreciate the comment.
I love the lived in look Scottie and you do it so well, very authentic :thumb2:
I really like the levers too how did you make the nobs?
Si, Thanks mate. On this occasion the lever nobs came as resin in the up grade set. The way I normally make them Is to take some round rod of the right OD, then file the end round and then with a round needle file a groove in the rod to form a ball on the end. Before I cut it off drill a small hole in the end of them lever diameter glue it on remove the ball from the rod and dress it up to form the ball. Hope I haven't confused the life out of you.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Cheers mate,
I wasn’t sure if these where made from a blob of CA that had been dressed.
Thanks for description for making your own, I’ll have to try making some:thumb2:

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
The cab does look lived in Paul, but then the paint on these things wasn't particularly good & wear from hob nailed boots, leather equipment with metal buckles would wear it pretty quickly in a frequently used driving cab. I like the look you've got there.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The cab does look lived in Paul, but then the paint on these things wasn't particularly good & wear from hob nailed boots, leather equipment with metal buckles would wear it pretty quickly in a frequently used driving cab. I like the look you've got there.
Thanks Graeme, That was my thinking as well.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I have assembled the cab but there is a lot of filler on it at the moment so will post some pics when it is all cleaned up.

The next task is the load bed. This is where the kit really shows it's age. The easiest thing to do was remove all the detail and re do it. The wood grain was re done, then the planks re scribed. Then with a mixture of etch, pewter and punched rivets and nuts detail was redone. Not perfect by a long chalk but hopefully better than what was there.

DSCF2706.JPG
DSCF2707.JPG

The tail gate got the same treatment. The kit came with a simple "eye" for the towing pintle. I have had an attempt to scratch a new one. I formed the shape of the bracket cup on a piece of styrene, then warmed up some styrene sheet and formed it over the mould. this was then drilled a pin added and secured with some scratched chain. Then added to the rest of the scratched towing hitch. I might have another go as not 100% happy with it.

DSCF2708.JPG

DSCF2709.JPG

It also needs a good clean up.

cheers
Scottie

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
A`noon Scottie!
Well,to my shame,i have to admit that i`d completely missed this one until just now!:flushed: But i`ve just had a very interesting read up from the very beginning,and i have to say that your additions sure have improved the overall look,although i am surprised at how detailed this kit is considering it`s history!:thumb2: I have Italeri`s other version in the stash,(which i think Jakko mentioned a few pages back),and that isn`t as well done as your one.
I like these quirky things,and look forward to following this build from here on in,btw..... i`m also one who likes the scuffed up look of the interior,for pretty much the same reasons that Graeme mentioned!
Andy

Reactions: JR

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
A`noon Scottie!
Well,to my shame,i have to admit that i`d completely missed this one until just now!:flushed: But i`ve just had a very interesting read up from the very beginning,and i have to say that your additions sure have improved the overall look,although i am surprised at how detailed this kit is considering it`s history!:thumb2: I have Italeri`s other version in the stash,(which i think Jakko mentioned a few pages back),and that isn`t as well done as your one.
I like these quirky things,and look forward to following this build from here on in,btw..... i`m also one who likes the scuffed up look of the interior,for pretty much the same reasons that Graeme mentioned!
Andy
Andy,
No problems at all its good to have you along. Then I can imagine it will need a lot of work. The detail can be lived with if you like a simple out of the box build but the fit and moulding is not good. Glad you like the.

Scottie

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Love the bed work Scottie. If you redo the towing pintle consider making the cup flexible (or appear so) up & down at the mount. Pics for ref. only.
PaulE
RSO 01 rear tow.jpg
W/extender
RSO rear.jpg

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Coming together well Paul. My take on the cab wear is that it needs to be seen in the confines of the cab once it’s assembled so being slightly exaggerated helps.

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
as usual you deliver stunning details... MORE MORE MOOOORE... :smiling2: :smiling2: :smiling2: :smiling2:

• Haha
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Love the reworked cargo deck Paul, has your hallmark of fine detail all over it.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Paul,
Thanks mate glad you like it. I will have to re do the pintle.
Comparing the two, I'd say that the one that you've done is very close, just needs to be shaped a little with a needle file, rather than dump and start again.
Wish I'd got the patience to get to your standard!

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great work again Paul.

ATB.

Andrew

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Coming together well Paul. My take on the cab wear is that it needs to be seen in the confines of the cab once it’s assembled so being slightly exaggerated helps.
Tim, I never thought of that cheers.
Sterling job Paul, keep it up.

Andy.
Andy cheers.
as usual you deliver stunning details... MORE MORE MOOOORE... :smiling2: :smiling2: :smiling2: :smiling2:
Greg, very kind of you.
Love the reworked cargo deck Paul, has your hallmark of fine detail all over it.
John, thanks very much mate.
Nice tweaks Scottie :thumb2:
cheers Si, I'm enjoying it so far.
Lovely detailing Scottie. Well worth all the trouble
Thanks Steve glad you approve.
Comparing the two, I'd say that the one that you've done is very close, just needs to be shaped a little with a needle file, rather than dump and start again.
Wish I'd got the patience to get to your standard!
Thanks Gerry I have given it a trim and hopefully it looks a bit better now.
Great work again Paul.

ATB.

Andrew
cheers Andrew appreciate it.